Village of the Mountains Ch. 4

The ride was bumpy and painful. I could feel my jeans rip open in several spots, and the skin that was exposed by the holes was cut open. The cold air blew against my face as I descended, making the experience even worse as I felt likw a thousand needles were hitting my skin per second

It felt like forever that I was falling, forcing myself not to scream out of fear that it would attract the monster's attention,  even though I was probably as good as dead anyway.

I began to think that I would never stop sliding. Like buried within the mountains was a pit leading straight into the core of the earth, and I had just happened to go down the one cliff that lead to it. Or maybe I had already died and my punishment for being an idiot and going on this quest was to continue slidding for all of eternity.

But that was not the case. Finally, the mountain started to flatten out, and I opened my eyes. It was still nighttime, but the clouds overhead had cleared enough that the moon and its light could be seen. I could vaguely see the ground not far beneath me. My hands moved from my chest back to the rocks, and I was able to slow to a stop thanks to the reduced degree of steepness. It took a couple minutes of catching my breath before I could pull myself to a stand. My heart was beating fast, and I could feel the adrenaline throughout my body. Slowly I maneuvered my way the rest of the way down, trying to ignore the pain in my legs and hands.

Once I reached the ground I collapsed. To my relief my body was met by the cusion of grass and dirt. I scanned my surroundings, however my sight was limited given the dim moonlight as well as my lightheadedness. I barely made out a large tree a few yards infront of me. Lifting myself up on my arms as best as I could, I pulled my body towards the tree. Once I had made it to the trunk I curled up against it, panting. The adrenaline started to fade, and I knew that the pain would be far worse after it went away.

I looked back down at my treasure and wrapped one arm around it, as if to comfort it. Then, everything faded to black.