Chapter 2

We ran for about an hour before we stopped at the Mobil gas station. We hadn't made it very far mainly because I was in such bad shape, not to mention that I was in complete shock about what just happened. Mitchell turned and looked at me, his face was red from sprinting that whole way and his eye's were watery from the wind. He opened his mouth as if he were going to say something but he didn't. He just stared at me. His beautiful eye's bore deep into the depths of my soul. We we're both hot and sweaty, but somehow my body still found a way to send a shiver down my spine.

“You cold?” He managed to puff out between harsh breaths.

“No, just...” I couldn't finish. I had no idea what I was feeling at that moment. All my friends were most likely dead, I couldn't go home, and I was running away with a guy I had been crushing on since the day I met him. There were so many questions going through my head that all I could do was stare a him. He looked at me as if he understood and nodded his head.

“Are you hungry?” He asked me. It was then that I realized that I was absolutely starving. I couldn't say anymore because I suddenly felt very week and tired. I felt like my head was about to explode. Then Mitchell gave me some money. “Here, go into the store and buy some snacks, we've got a long way to go. I'm gonna get us a ride, ok?” I couldn't really here him. He sounded like he was a mile away. I nodded my head and started walking, or at least I thought I did.

I opened my eye's and I was in a warm bed. I closed them again and smiled, and then I frowned. It was only a dream? I thought sadly. I hadn't been with Mitchell at all? I rolled over onto my side and realized that my entire arm had fallen asleep. It was lying motionless behind my back. Out of pure frustration I flung it over my body and slapped something, hard. I heard a loud groan come from the other side of the bed, and my eye's flew open. I quickly rolled out of bed and grabbed the closest thing to a weapon as I could, a lamp.

I looked down to see who the creep in my bed was, and the shock made me drop my blunt object. The lamp shattered as it hit the floor, fully waking up Mitchell Chase. He sat up so quick it gave me a head ache. He looked at me confused. I put my hand over my mouth and turned around. One single tear ran down my cheek.

“Rachel?” Mitchell sounded concerned. I didn't dare turn around. I heard him get up and hastily make his way over to me. His strong arms wrapped around my waist. He said something under his breath that sounded something like, “I know, its probably hard to remember.”

“So it wasn't a dream. All my friends are dead? Am I ever going to see my family again?”

“Rachel not all your friends are dead. Trust me. And of course you're going to see your family again! You just have to wait for this whole thing to blow over, ok?” I turned around and looked up into his eyes again. Somehow I always manage to find them. His arms were still holding me, and for a moment we were just standing there holding each other. He wiped away the tear on my face and let his hand linger there for a couple seconds before he put it back down. He looked down my face and let his gaze fall on my lips. I started to rise onto my toes and he started to lean down. When our lips were just inches away I closed my eyes and, nothing. I opened my eyes and he had raised back to his standing position and looking away. Anger and hurt rolled through my body. I ripped myself out of his arms and started walking toward the bathroom for a shower. I turned around and looked at him one more time. He was staring after me, he opened his mouth to say something, but I slammed the door before he could utter a single word.

After my long and steamy shower, I wrapped my self up in a towel and walked outside to get changed. I walked to the bed and I saw new clothes lying there with a note on them. The note said:

Dear Rachel,

I'm sorry for what happened, I didn't mean to hurt you or make you angry. I thought you might want some clothes that aren't dirty after a shower, so I bought you some at the store down the street. I hope they are the right size. I went out to run some errand, I won't be gone long. Rest up, we've still got a lot to do and so little time to do it.

Sincerely,

Mitchell

I crumpled up the note and threw it in the garbage. The stupid jerk. I reluctantly picked up the clothes and put them on. I looked at myself in the mirror and saw that he actually didn't do that bad for a guy. I smiled at how I look in the new pink tank top and shorts when I saw a dark figure move behind me. I spun around and looked over the room.

“Mitchell?” I called. “Mitchell if that's you its not funny come out!” Nobody came out. My heart was beating at one hundred beats per minute. “Mitchell its ok I'm not mad at-” I couldn't finish my sentence because a hand came out from the darkness and grabbed my mouth. I fought to get free, but it was no use I was being kidnapped. Finally, whatever drug on the towel in persons hand started to kick in and everything slowly faded into darkness.