CHAPTER 8

Summers POV

I arrived at Radcliffes in a great mood. The European elegance of the décor with its Old World oil paintings with spotlights, mahogany woodwork gleaming crystal chandeliers, and pristine white tablecloths and red brocade-covered dining chairs helps. So did the fact that the Lil Green Monster had taken a hike.

I was determined not to let whatever it was that was causing me strange reaction to Harry interfere with their friendship. Life was good. To prove my point, I purposefully waited for Kerri, my executive chef, who was tugging a resigned head waitress toward my instead for making a fast retreat to my office.

Kerri created pure culinary magic in the kitchen, and didnt cave under pressure, it was a bit if a revelation to see the serious chef turn into woman consumed with plans over her upcoming wedding. I kept all of them updated – whether they wanted the update or not.

"Good morning, Kerri, Joan," I greeted.

"Good morning, Summer." Kerri wore a crisp white chefs uniform, the jacket unbuttoned, and her long auburn hair in its usual knot atop her head. Her round, pretty face beamed.

"Morning, Summer."  Head waitress Joan started to move away when released her arm.

Kerri caught me before she made a step.

"Please stay. Im bursting to tell you about my wedding gown." She waited until Joan faced her. Its absolutely gorgeous. It was well worth the custom price tag. The crystal beaded detail is exquisite. "Im going in for my final fitting two weeks before the wedding." Kerri eyes sparkled." Thomas is going to be speechless when he sees me coming down the aisle."

"I'd like to see that," deadpanned Joan.

"He wont be able to take his eyes off you," I quickly interjected, unsure if Joan was being sarcastic or stating fact. With her dry wit, it was difficult to tell. Slim, pretty with a sleek cap of res hair, she was known for her one-liners.

Thomas was talkative, perhaps because he was the manager of the shoe department in a retail store. He and Kerri met when I, a confirmed shoeaholic, had gone to a sale. Another romance due to fate.

"Just as long as he can say I do," Kerris laughter bubbled over with happiness.

I smiled softly as I fought against another brief twinge – okay, more than a twinge. Looked like Green Eyes was back from vacation. But I wasnt going to rake myself over the coals again. My feelings were to be expected with my friends and employees all finding someone to love while I went to bed with the latest industry magazines.

I'd forgive myself for my lapses. I was human.

Joan, who had been looking bored and who made it no secret that she enjoyed men and wasnt ready to settled down to one, suddenly perked up. She moistened her red lips, shifted her weight to lean back on one leg so her generous breasts – which she always said caught mens attention first and she did the rest – jutted forward.

I instantly knew Joans attention had shifted to a man. Her sultry smile was both an invitation and a promise. In the privacy of my home, I had tried to copy Joans expression and always looked as if I had tasted alum.

Since I had a strict no-fraternization policy for employees at Radcliffes, I glanced over my shoulder to see the man who had caught Joans attention this time.

Harry, a charming grin on his gorgeous face, was heading in our direction. His charcoal-gray double-breasted suit fit his trim body perfectly and made a woman want to investigate what lay beneath. Even happily engaged, Kerri stopped talking.