Out of Sight

It's hard to decide where to begin a story. When you hurt it's hard to remember how happy you were.  And when you're happy its hard to remember what it feels like to hurt so much you cry until your voice is gone. Mostly it's hard to remember where the begining actually is. When was it that my life actually began to change? Was it when I met him? Was it when I fell in love? Was it when he left? Despite all that happened the only thing I do know is that I am changed. And whether that is for better or worse, I know it is a story worth telling. For my own sake if nothing else. Because I have realized its all just a lie. Out of sight out of mind is just a lie.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

***************************************************

"Runners set."

I stepped forward to the line along with the seven other girls.

The gun went off, pulling me out of reality for a second before I realized my legs had carried me for the past hundred meters. We were in a close pack now and I knew I only had 300 meters to break away. I kept my speed and was able to pass all but two opponents. 200 meters to go and I surged forward until I was just a step behind the leader. She must have heard me gaining on her as she kicked her last 100 meters with me right on her tail. I pushed my body hardest the last 50 meters, but she did also. Finally, I threw myself over the finish line. Knowing I came out on top, I finally allowed my body to rest. Hunching over, I struggled to replace the oxygen I had just expended.

"Desiree!" I heard one voice above the rest.

I looked up to acknowledge its owner, my heart beat finally beginning to reach normal levels.

"You did so good, babe!"

I smiled at the compliment.

"Thanks Megs," I replied.

Although I knew the comment was heartfelt, I also know she would have said it even if I had gotten last. But that’s what your best friend is for.

"Well, I'm done for the day," I added. "How did you do today?"

"First in triple jump, second in long," she informed me.

I looked down at her spikes and sure enough they were covered in sand as usual. Her knees were permanently skinned from jumping into the sand pits and the scabs that had formed from last week's track meet had already been replaced by new wounds. Having a best friend who willingly throws herself into a pit of hot, dry sand makes me thankful that all I do is run. Not much of a chance for skin penetration in a 400 meter dash. Although, I know she would say the same about me choosing to run over 30 miles a week.

She threw her arm around my thin frame to guide me to our bags. Our team's area was marked by a large burgundy tent labled "SPARTAN TRACK." I sat down immediately and began to untie my racing spikes.

"Good job Des!" a few freshman called as they jogged by. They passed a relay baton back and forth as they ran.

I waved at them, still recovering from my race. It was weird to think the season was almost over and they would soon be sophomores. And I would soon be a junior. I frowned at the prospect of running varsity races next year. Sure, I could come out on top in the JV races, but I wasn’t sure I could hold my own in varsity.

"Wanna go watch the pole vaulters?" Megan asks.

“Sure,” I answered. It was my favorite event and if I wasn’t a middle distance sprinter, I would be vaulting then. My coach didn’t believe you could be successful in two events so he confined me to what he knew I was good at, sprints.

Megan reached down and helped me up. As I stood up on my socked feet and we began the trek across the football field to the pole vaulters. I couldn’t help but laugh to myself as I felt the damp ground beneath me. I wondered what great water conservationalist decided it would be a good idea to water AstroTurf. As far as I could tell, fake grass didn’t exactly need water to grow. It seemed especially unnecessary in a beach town like Kyla where moisture is usually present in the air.  I recounted the morning practices I had seen sprinklers going off and chuckled again at my wet socks.