Chapter 14

A/N woooow it has been soooo long. But I have resolved to FINISH this book! So here is the next part I hope it was worth the wait! XO, McK

Everything moves faster in the summer. The days seem to stretch on forever and the sun stays out for more hours than we know what to do with. But September is always there. It sits like a lion crouching in the back of your mind the whole time, forcing everything to move faster in the summer. Jeremy and I were no exception.

Since I had returned from Texas, I had met Jeremy’s family twice, gone to the aquarium once, and spent almost every waking moment with him. Somewhere along the way, I’d even started to, not just tolerate, but enjoy kissing him. Without realizing it, we had become a couple; there was no other word to describe us.

It was July fourth and the pier was in full-on celebration mode.  My parents were at home, as my mother hated crowds. My sister was somewhere around here, presumably. Jeremy and I had just won a free scoop of ice cream from Mam’s at a game booth and were on our way to cash it in.

“Des! There’s a photobooth!” he exclaimed.

“I know,” I replied with a giggle. Everything I said in reply to Jeremy was followed by a giggle of some sort.

“Let’s go!” He pulled my by our intertwined fingers into the small booth.

Upon entering the tiny booth, I was filled with countless memories that were captured forever in this very space. Most of them were of Megs and I. Some before that of Jamie and I. I had probably singlehandedly funded this photobooth’s operations over the past 16 years.

“Alright, first one will be serious,” Jeremy announced.

As the timer counted down, we stared  monotonously at the camera.

“Now silly,” I suggested.

We both made weird faces as the flash went off.

“Now smiling normal.”

We put our arm around each other and smiled our most school portrait worthy grins.

“Duck Face!” Jeremy yelled despite our close proximity to each other.

I puckered my lips and as the timer counted down from three, Jeremy leaned over and kissed me. It was a quick kiss, closed lips as the flash went off, but we didn’t break apart, instead wrapping our arms around each other and sinking deeper into the kiss.

Finally, I broke away with a laugh.

“This is too cliche,” I told him.

He smiled. “Cliches are cliches for a reason,” he replied with a wink.

I stared in wonder at him as I often did. He was so quick witted and funny yet deep and sentimental all at the same time.