1

Chapter One
"We're Not Party Animals"
Leila

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting their own battle." -Unknown
This was the quote that used to hang behind my teacher's desk in 6th grade. Everyday when I was bored in class my eyes would wander off to the small poster, and after reading the quote, I would be left drowning in my thoughts for a while.

To be honest, I always get caught up in my own thoughts, my own problems, my own dreams. I rarely take the time to think about what other people want or what other people think. This poster was a sort of reality check. The mere idea that other people could have problems too--that they also had that little voice inside their head, reading everything to them like yours is right now, was just overwhelming.

Of course, then I would get mad at myself for being so goddamn selfish and I would get caught in my own world again. Because honestly, I'm probably the most selfish person I know, no matter what I say at the end of the day, I want to benefit myself.
My best friend Sam is the opposite. All she does is worry about others needs and makes sure everyone else is always happy. To the point where I don't know if she's really happy because she always has that bright smile on her face. But,  I smile too, even when the world is crashing down around me I never let people know that I'm breaking.

After the whole high school thing was over I decided to study English because it's my favorite subject. Really, I'm apart of the Modern Media Degree where I study the english language but also research about the representation of literature in media but trying to explain that to people is difficult so I just say English. During the summer I reached a huge milestone in my life (well I guess I actually reached two if you count completing second year with top marks but my other milestone is way more exciting). Sam and I decided to buy a flat together so we didn't have to stay in residence ever again! Honestly, I think this is my biggest achievement so far. Although residence was fun, it tended to be annoying having first years staying up and partying until the early hours of the morning.

First years are so irresponsible, I mean don't they know the only way to succeed is to work hard? Oh gosh now I sound like Noah. He's my work obsessed friend who is always prioritizing work over our plans. I mean I get it, he wants to be successful, but you can't have all work and ignore your friends 90% of the time, that's just not fair for the rest of us. And there's other ways to be successful too, like our friend James who's a professional ping pong player (we make fun of him for it every day don't worry). His "job" is actually pretty cool. I mean, once you get over the outdated music and short shorts (worn by grown men, gross!!) the whole experience becomes fun once you start cheering for your favorite hottie playing against James. (We never openly cheer for James but if he wins a big game we do take him out for a drink to congratulate him). With James gone so often, he usually has to do schoolwork on the road but isn't very organized about handing in assignments on time. Sam tried to tell him to invest in an agenda but he insists that he can manage without. 

I guess Olivia is the best time manager of the group, she doesn't get too obsessed with her work but she knows when she has to save the time to do it. Good thing Taylor has Olivia to keep her in check. Taylor is... well theres not way to put it besides saying she's Taylor. You never know what she's going to say or do, its constant anticipation with her but at least she tells you how it is. Jake is very similar to Taylor, always out partying and getting drunk. He's probably the most irresponsible one. He used to be best friends with James but they kinda became distant from each other. Actually, we all kind of became more distant from James when he started becoming consumed by his fame and his traveling became extremely frequent. For example a few months ago he was barely home for a week and now he is away for at least two weeks a month. Secretly I'm hoping that his career is put on hold for a few months so he can actually finish his degree like his parents want him to and we can talk more because I miss the funny and socially awkward moments that we shared together.