Chapter Nine

On the third morning, he woke to find her in the kitchen banging around, looking for a pot. He made her peaches and cream oatmeal and he could tell something was gnawing at her. "What's on your mind, blondie?" Her mood didn't even lighten when Ryan called her that, she had always adored it every time previous. "I'm antsy," she said. "I need to get out and do something." She was obviously feeling better.
"Yeah, sure." He nodded and looked outside. It was a sunny morning with a light breeze coming through the screen door. "You wanna go for a walk?"
"Actually," she said with a shining fear in her eye, wondering Ryan's reaction. "I think I just need to go home. Just for a few hours." He didn't ask for what, he just went down to kiss her. This seemed to calm her momentarily. She gave in, sucked at his tongue for a minute, then giggled and ducked away from him. Back to grumpy, hormonal Holly.
"You shouldn't be doing that, you know."
"Why not?"
"Because it's getting too easy."
"Too easy?"
"Comfortable. We'll forget ourselves. I've got a baby to prepare for."
"That's a good thing. And didn't I say I wanted to help you? Let me."
"Not if we get caught. My parents—"
"I'm not afraid," he said, his bear-like palms caressing her hips that fitted in his hands just right. "Let's get caught."
"No one knows, Ryan."
He smiled. There was something to know.
"Are you for real? Is this – are you sure you want this?" Holly nodded slowly, their eyes latching onto each other's momentarily. "Promise you won't change your mind?" She said, with a drop of uncertainty in her tone. He kissed her and she started to cry, and he heard himself speaking before he even had time to stop it. "I'll call your parents. I'll tell them—"
"No!"
"—the truth."
"No."
"Holly. We have nothing to be ashamed of. This stuff happens. If we're honest about what we want, they will understand. Not right away, but I'm not afraid. You know you're safe with me." She smiled through her tears. "Come right back and you'll see." He wiped the few stray teardrops cascading down her flushed cheeks, and she grabbed his hand to kiss the pad of his thumb.

Then she was gone.

But he was afraid, and the uncontrollable wave of guilt flooded his mind like a natural disaster.