Chapter 1: The answer

I can't taste the food. I am sure it tastes magnificent but I just can't taste the fucking food.

My heart continues to thump loudly in my chest as I fake a casual calm persona. While leisurely dragging the tip of my pointer finger around the rim of my wine glass, I begin to feel the heavy pressure of apprehension and doubt blossoming in my gut. I can't back down again. I have to_

"Alex, oh my god this is so beautiful! We have to come back with the kids next time. Lucas would go wild seeing the view!" My Schätzchen shouts out. I look up and a grin slowly spreads across my lips as I watch my golden brown goddess twirl on the yacht's dark stained wooden deck before me with her arms out stretched under the moonlight.

The mermaid shaped glitter nude dress sparkles under the light of the stars and captures all surrounding eyes on her mouth watering shape.

Slowly I unfold myself from the candle lit table and approach her. When did Juju say it was the right time to ask again? Shit...should I call him? What If I ask in the wrong moment? What if she says no?

Resting my chin on top of her head, I draw her into my embrace tightly. "You are right Schätzchen, we will bring them back here real soon." I whisper out against her thick ringlets. Eve laughs and turns in my arms. Resting her palms flat on my chest, she studies my face. I know she has to be feeling my heart going crazy underneath her hands from nerves right now. 

"Hey whats up with you? You have been a bit more quiet then usual. Usually you are the one talking my head off." Eve jokes while jabbing my chest playfully. My smile wavers under her watchful suspicious gaze. I shrug my shoulders and honestly answer, "I'm just nervous babe."

A well groomed eyebrow arches further  up and her perk nose wrinkles in confusion. "Why in the world would you be nervous?"

I take one last shaky breath before stepping back and kneeling down on one knee, "To do this." I answer.  Eve screams and quickly covers her mouth. With tears brimming over her eyes, she squeals out "Alex! What are you doing?! Get up."

Grabbing both of her hands, I lay a kiss on each fingertip before I reach into the inner breast pocket of my suit jacket and pull out the ring box.

"Evelyn Rose Whitmore...."

*****************************

***Jason's POV***

"We are going to settle this mess once and for all!" I shout across the room over at Juju, who was staring back at me with his stupid ass smug grin. He just shrugs and cracks his knuckles as he rolls his neck.

"Are you guys seriously going to be doing this?" Lucas drily asks over in the corner of the entertainment room. I almost burst out in a chuckle at how mature the boy sound. As if he is the adult here and we are the children. I toss him a grin, "Of course! It's the only way to settle it! Now give us a count down."

Lucas shakes his head and sighs. "Fine. ONE! TWO! THREE! GOOOOO!" We both turn quickly and kneel down across the room from baby Olivia, who is sitting on the far end of the room's floor. Juju seems to think Olivia...my Olivia...my god daughter/niece...will pick him over me...his Dumbass. So of course we have to both call her at the same time to see who she will pick.

Of course she will come to me. Next to her parents, I am her favorite after all. "Come here my baby girl!" I croon out to the toddler, who is sitting up playing with her stuff pony. Olivia is already dressed up in cream colored onsie with olive green trim, throughout the onsie Winnie the pooh and piglet are pictured holding hands. Upon hearing my voice she turns quickly and grins over at me.

"No Olly, Come to Uncle Juju." Julian calls out adjacent to me.

Olivia turns her head and smiles over at the grinning teen. "No pumpkin come to uncle Jason!" I call out. The small child turns her head back to me but this time her little face crinkles up in confusion. Her grin wavers and wobbles as she looks back and forth between the two of us while we call out to her.