Chapter Nine

Molly's POV:

Three days before the partner assignment was due, Luke had decided to return from a family holiday, leaving hardly any time to actually arrange and write about each and every photo in the album. I had arranged for him to stop by as soon as he got home to check up and approve of what I had done while he was away.

So here I stood, reading over my analysis on the whole assignment, waiting for his part when he arrived. I thought it was safer to have him over at my apartment for whenever I was to meet him out in a public place before he went away, Fletcher always seemed to conveniently wander past, throwing the death glare in his direction.

I don't understand why but it wasn't my fault, that's for sure. Maybe Luke and Fletcher have a history? Whatever it is, I want to stay out of it.

A knock came from the door and I looked up, placing the paper down and heading round the table to open it. Luke smiled warmly at me before stepping inside "Hey Molly, sorry I didn't give much warning about the holiday" Worry showing through his tone. "I wrote everything I needed to while I was away so that I didn't leave it all up to you" he handed me some pages of paper, stapled in the corner, and perfectly smooth, no crinkles or dog eared edges, I smiled as I took hold of the papers and flicked through them, skimming over the words.

He paced around the table, babbling about how he was sorry to leave me with all the work. As he did this, I just stared down at the paper, not reading anymore, but just smiled to myself as I listened to him.

"Luke its fine, I have done my part and you have done yours. That's all I asked and that's all you gave" I say softly, completely calm as I set the papers in the album.

He instantly went quiet and followed me as I made my way into the kitchen for a drink of water "So you're not mad that I just ditched the assignment and left for a vacation?"

I shook my head and chuckled to myself "You went away on a holiday to see your family. I don't see why I should be angry at you. Besides, you didn't even ditch the assignment" I say, handing him a glass of water.

"Speaking of which, you never talk about your family. Where are you from?" Luke suddenly asked, leaning back on the kitchen bench.

I stopped drinking, swallowing the last of my water and trying to stay casual. Nobody had asked me about my family. It just brought back everything that made me angry. Everything that I tried so hard to get away from.

I zoned out, staring straight into space. "Molly?" Luke moved towards me, making my snap out of my daze and stare right t him with wide eyes.

"Oh-uh, my family? It's not an interesting story. Really..." I trailed off, turning around to put my cup in the sink.

"Are you alright Molly?" Luke's warm hand landed itself on my shoulder, trying to comfort me.

I turned around quickly and made my way over to the table "yes, yes. I- I'm fine, really. Let's finish this thing off"

I wasn't physically or sexually abused, abandoned, kicked out or left with unloving parents, more like I was emotionally abandoned, kicked myself out legally and was left with parents who didn't know how to show love to their only child.

Everything was silent for a moment as I slowly flicked through the album, listening to Luke's slow but loud footsteps as he made his way back to the table, where I was standing.

"Molly?" he said sadly, standing close behind me.

I froze, keeping my head down, trying to watch him out the corner of my eye. "What" I said quietly, keeping still.

"What happened to you? Please tell me" he whispered, coming closer from behind. I held my breath, feeling my heart thump in my chest, beginning to feel his body heat.