53 - Welcome to the Philippines

"Good evening passengers, this is your captain speaking," the familiar voice of the captain came through the speakers.  "We have arrived at our destination, Cebu City, Philippines. Enjoy your stay because it's more fun in the Philippines."

I prepare myself for the landing.  I fastened my seatbelt, but the belt was jammed.  It won't pull through.  I continued to tug it, but it won't budge.  I lost grip of the belt and it slammed back onto the cubicle wall.  I gave it another shot and it finally gave in, before I could even reach for the plugs in the utility pocket, the plane was already landing.  My ear ached so much that I panicked and I began to hear nothing but air.  Oh my gosh. Am I going to be deaf like Beethoven? Oh no, no, no, no, no.  Please, no.

My cubicle door slid open.  It's probably time for me to get out.  What do I do with my ears?  Who should I talk to?  I can't call my parents or Keith.  I can't even hear them.  A stewardess assisted me with my hand-carry bag at the overhead compartment.  I caught sight of her gold name tag: Jenalyn.

"Thank you, Jenalyn," I said, but I couldn't hear myself say it.

She looked oddly at me with a forced smile.  I must've said it louder than how it's supposed to be.  I just looked away and headed out.  God, this is embarrassing.  It's so hard not to have anything to hear.  God, I hope this isn't permanent damage.

I followed Alex out and to the luggage conveyor belt.  I waited for my bag and was about to grab it when he pulled it out first.  I looked at him and he looked angry that it scared me.  He was saying something, but I couldn't bring myself to read his lips because they were moving too fast.

"I can't hear you," I heard myself say but it was bleary.  "My ears...pressure..." I shook my head.

His look softened.  He mouthed the words "I'm sorry."  Then, he pulled out his BlackBerry and started to tap away.  He handed the phone over to me and I read the message off the screen in silence.

WE'LL SEE A DOCTOR TOMORROW OK?

I smiled at the message and tapped in response.

THANK U

And handed the phone over to him.

He smiled at the screen.  He returned his phone in his coat pocket and nodded for us to go.

I trailed after him until we were outside the airport.  The air was quite cold, but not freezing unlike in New York.  I guess I should start adjusting since Philippines has a tropical climate.

The sky was a black canopy decorated with a few diamond studs of stars.  I realized that I have been at awe for too long when Alex took my hand.  I swiveled at him and he nodded me to get inside the car.

I feel like a handicapped kid with hearing problems.  I obediently got in the sleek black car---which was most probably Mercedes pffft---and just stared at the other side of the window, trying to avoid his looks.

I wish this stupid pressure would be gone by tomorrow so I won't have to go to some doctor.  I don't want him spending money on me.  It's like I'm his submissive.  I'm going to show him that he can't control everybody's world.

***

We arrived at a bay wordlessly.  We didn't make any form of communication during the short trip.  I check my phone and it's already 11:34 PM in the Philippines.  It's a good thing my phone has an automatic time setting when you travel to another timezone.

Alex let the chauffeur carry his luggage, but he carried mine.  I guess he has a gentle side after all.

"Di na po kayo pwedeng pumalaot ngayon. Gabi na po," an old Filipino man in an old blue shirt and baggy pants said to Alex.