Friends?

I thought I was in love with David. Maybe I was . All I knew is that now I wasn't. I liked to have him around because he made me feel
special. He made me feel wanted. It was nice to have someone willing to brave the wrath of their father to sneak out to buy me a dr. Pepper at midnight and a snickers bar just because he knew they were my favorites. But no it couldn't have been love because it took me only two months to realize I'd rather have my best friend back.

Robert, David and I had been good friends since midway through freshman year. About the time my last best friend trio, Thomas and Spencer and I got weird because Spencer asked Thomas to ask me if I wanted to hold hands with him. As in Spencer. I mean who asks someone to hold hands via their mutual friend. I replied that if he wanted to hold my hand he should just do it not have someone else ask. That was New Years at our lord of the rings marathon. By February we had drifted. Spencer, I'm not sure why became distant with both of us and Thomas. I don't know. It was just different. But he was still around. I guess I've never been good at keeping friends long. But anyways this isn't about them.

I lived in a city of just under 300,000 but it seems smaller because of my church. Most of my friends parents have known my parents since I was born. We moved away when I was two but when we came back after my tenth birthday they were all still there. Spencer and Thomas are still my friends. They know Robert and David. They also know Brooke and Valerie and Ann. See I have girl friends too. Although Ann is my sister. I have a lot of girl friends. Evie dated David before I did, Natasha just moved here, and Amy, well I don't really know her yet. So really when I say my "best friends" I really mean the ones I'm presently closest too. Our group is pretty close. Lucas the really tall one, Fred, the really loud one. Evie, the really boy crazy one, and Ryan,
the off and on again one.

Actually it was really fun. We hung out nearly every Friday and Saturday night and during the summers, more often. I was the instigator, the planner, the convincer. I got every one to get together. At first everything was at my house but eventually we got our friends to host things. That was my first mistake. Don't give them their independence keep them relying on you.

Anyways I'm getting off topic. Robert and David were best friends. They were my friends too, and Brookes. She was the girl I was closest to, if you don't include Ann. I mean we shared a bedroom how much closer can you get? But she stopped being as close to the three of us when she started dating Spencer. I started dating David on my sixteenth birthday when came over late the night before and we stayed up talking till the sun rose. He held my hand. It felt like a dream come true. In 5th grade I had liked Davids friend Andrew. In the fashion of ten year old this crush mostly led to frenemy type relationship. They were obnoxious to me and I was to them. In 7th grade David and I had English together. We became less annoying to each other.
In eighth grade He was dating Evie that year. Since she was my friend I was around him even more. This is about the Time our group of friends started hanging out

Because of Evie's tendency for drama, I became the middle man in their relationship. When Evie had a problem she sent me to speak to David about it. 13 year olds communication skills what can I say? Because I had so many occasions to speak personally with him I eventually grew feelings for him. But that was wrong, I couldn't like him. He was dating my friend. But I did and I don't think I hid it well. Not for lack of trying I decided to like Matt. Some guy in my class that liked baseball as much as I did. He was a nice distraction but I didn't even know him. When I was still crushing on David in 9th grade I tried liking so many guys. Ryan was cute and smart but so shy and boring. Drew was flirty but not really interested. Doug was way too into video games.
Then Evie and David broke up and I became better friends with him and Robert. It was too bad Brooke was dating Spencer because before he came along she liked Robert and wouldn't it just be serendipitous to have to pairs of best friends date each other? Brooke was beautiful, all the guys liked her, so of course I thought Robert did too. But who knows. I didn't know him as well as I knew David

I wasn't just into boys by the way. I wanted to be a doctor and was always looking at scholarships at the career center at school, volunteering at the hospital, and befriending people visiting nieces just to be nice. Actually I was a pretty good person. My church taught me to be service minded and gave me a lots of opportunities to serve. Which was good because I thought about myself way too often. I also loved baseball and walking my dog. But this book isn't about those things. It's about my friends, mainly how I lost them.