Chapter 3-Raise The Stakes

Brody followed her into the house. She walked ahead of him, only glancing back over her shoulder once. One last hesitation, about bringing him home.
The garage opened directly into a large kitchen with vaulted ceilings. One wall was solid glass which afforded an amazing view into the lush woods.
"You don't remember me, do you?" He didn't really think she would, it had after all, been two hundreds ago.
Ashlynn dumped her keys and school bag on the center island and made her way to the refrigerator.
"No."
She pulled a Pepsi out of the fridge and popped the top, taking a long drink; watching him over the edge of the can.
Something about having her eyes on him like that, made his stomach flutter. He hadn't anticipated the magnetic attraction to her. It was distracting when he needed to be one hundred percent focused. He couldn't deny her affect on him, but he couldn't forget how dangerous she was.
"The Summer of 1816...you were being courted by William Pearler. Everyone thought it'd be a perfect match...but you despised him."
Brody watched her closely, as she took in what he was telling her. She was really good at concealing her shock. Her only tell, was a slight crease between her eyebrows. She set the Pepsi down on with a gentle, 'click'  leaning her hip on the edge of the island, she said,  "Not many people knew that William wasn't  to my taste. I didn't really prioritize what made me happy back then. It was a different time. My parents chose him for me, and I didn't see any other option."
"You lived in a big white house with wide wrap around porches on both stories. The only child of wealthy parents, who really didn't know what to do with you."
Ashlynn was watching Brody closely, now. Her eyes seemed to take him in, swallow him up; paralyze him.
"How do you know about 1816 and Velcrim?" The slightest sliver of fear reflected in her eyes.
Brody shoved his hands into the front pockets of his jeans.
     "He sent me from 1816 to bring you back to him."
     "So, you're a time traveler, then? Where's your stupid 'time machine'?"
      "I don't need a machine to travel in. I use these,"Brody held up his hands. On both middle fingers, he wore silver bands. "When I touch the bands together I can travel through time."
      "That's about as ridiculous as your hair," Ashlynn snorted.
     "It may be ridiculous, but it's the truth."
     "And I'm just supposed to willingly go with you back to 1816, back to Velcrim?"
     "He's got my mother. He's holding her hostage-as insurance that I'll bring you back. But, I think with your help, we can defeat him."