I Swear I'm Cheerful

SO I KNOW YOU'RE expecting me to say my name. It's Adira. Say I love life. I don't. Be all golly gee this is my life! Again, no. I'm an orphan. Meaning when my parents first saw me they thought no thank you and left me at an orphanage to rot and hate life.

I know that this isn't your typical start, but I just thought I should let you know and not get your hopes up.

Now I think I'm done explaining things. Grab your popcorn, your Gatorade, your blanket and get ready for the landfill that is my life.

So, Before You get even more confused, I get dreams sometimes. Like, dreams of some scary woman telling me to go somewhere and do something or else she's gonna hurt me. So, you know, cheerful stuff.

"HEY ADIRA, WAKE UP!"

Here's my best friend Hunter being a jerk. I was having a wonderful dream of bunnies dying (I don't know either) and then here he comes to ruin it.

"Hunter what do you want," I say groaning.

"I don't know maybe your suffering and tears?"

"Already lost that a long time ago."

Don't get me wrong. I love Hunter like a brother. We have a love-hate relationship. You know that thing when you love someone so much you hate them? Yeah, that's how Hunter and I are. It's normal.

He was wearing his usual navy blue beanie and a purple and blue long-sleeved button up shirt over a white tank top. I blinked and I saw a mop of long black hair and startling blue eyes staring at me.

When I first met Hunter, he came in the orphanage with tears in his eyes, reaching out for his mother who was abandoning him.

Sometimes I get it. Some people don't have enough money to raise a family. Some people aren't ready. Hunter learned to accept it, and so did I, but there's always this burning hatred in your heart. And that hatred brings thoughts in your head like Am I not good enough to love? Not good enough to keep?

I'm not here to make you feel bad for me. But sometimes a person doesn't mind the attention.

We headed towards the cafeteria for breakfast and along the way we spat out bad puns and played our game of "Who Can Drive the Other Person Crazy First". Needless to say, he always won.

For breakfast, I had eggs with bacon. Hunter, being vegetarian, got chocolate chip pancakes and an apple. When we finished, we went outside to play soccer.

Soccer is my friend. Hunter and I became friends when he broke his ankle playing soccer. I remember laughing at him and then him punching me a few days later after he got better. If that isn't a good friendship, then I don't know what is.

By the way, I have I have this thing where I just say things without thinking it through, my mouth working faster than my brain. So, forgive me for saying for letting my big fat mouth slip.

"Don't you ever miss your mom?"

Hunter looked at me.

By now I bet you think I'm crazy. You're right. Normally, you don't ask somebody whose mother abandoned them if they miss said mother. But I'm not normal.

"Adira, you do realize what you just asked, right?" asked Hunter.

"Yep."

"Do you regret it?"

"Little bit."

Hunter kicked the soccer ball at me, and usually I caught it and kicked it right back, but now, I was a little bit too interested in Hunter's feelings.

I sighed. "It's just that you always seem so happy all the time. It's like you don't even care that your mom left you."

"Adira, sometimes you gotta accept some stuff." Hunter's blue eyes looked directly at me. "Sure I'm still salty about it, but, gah, I don't know. Shouldn't you know?"

"I never met my parents. I was brought here right after I was born."

"What happened?"

"I don't really know," I said. "All I heard was that my dad was a hard-core alcoholic and drug-user."

"What about your mom?"

"I heard that a few minutes after I was born, the doctors were going to show me to my mom but she was nowhere to be seen."

I felt a water drop on shoulder.

"Well—" Before Hunter could finish the sentence, the caretakers at the orphanage called us in because it was going to rain.

I looked to my right where the woods were. It seemed to be getting darker the longer I looked at it.

We started to head towards the orphanage when the ground started shaking.

I grabbed Hunter's arm. "Earthquake!"

A tree caught my eye. Its branches... they're reaching out towards me. Then as fast as my eye can move, the top branch came hurtling towards me and Hunter at full speed.

I yelled at Hunter to move out of the way. He did, but sometimes I'm dumb and don't follow my own instructions. The killer branch hit me in the stomach and I was sent across the field.

So i dont know how to make notes. But let me know in the comments if i should continue this story.

Go ahead a follow my fellow fangirl

MessyTheAuthor

She encouraged me to write this story and made the cover for this story. Thanks boo.