Joe Louis vs Helio Gracie

Joe Louis Vs Helio Gracie

Flipside Story:1

NB: Authour, Flipside story. I intend to write a series of alternate

history stories featuring great fighters and events

hypothesising on the outcome. In the case of this story I have given

two alternate endings. Please enjoy.

Please note this story is not entirely historically accurate, it is set roughly in 1950-51.

Gene LeBelle did not win the AAU National Judo title until 1954 and 55.

Because it is speculative fiction it is based on perspective, opinion and uncertain facts. There are two 'outcomes' as it is hypothetical and the authour wished to illustrate two possibilities in respect to these great legends.

Harold Trenton is a fictitious boxing-sports commentator in the mould of Harold Cosell.

Note: This was inspired by an article that Black belt magazine ran on a Bruce Lee vs Muhammad Ali Boxing match. Hopefully this is a little more realistic and unbiased compared to that piece of fiction.

Harold Trenton " When the former Heavyweight Champion, Joe Louis visited the South American country of Brazil a family of fighters decided to immortalise themselves and challenge the Brown Bomber to a No-Holds Barred match inside of a Boxing ring. Readers Digest, Time magazine and several firms inside of Brazil and the US all donated to the astronomical purse of one million dollars. "

" This is the scene that has been set for this Boxer versus Martial Arts event, the martial arts master is a national hero of Brazil, Helio Gracie the co-founder of his family's art of Gracie Jiu Jitsu. A modified hybrid of Judo of Japan and college style wrestling. The Brown Bomber has expressed interest in winning this fight as the purse will do a lot to help him pay of his back taxes accumulated during the war years."

" Helio Gracie has etched a name for himself here in Brazil where he has challenged all comers ranging from Boxers, Wrestlers and Judo masters from the Orient. His family of brawlers seem arrogant in their quest to be known as the world's best fighters. Will the former Heavyweight champion of the world be able to knock out the much smaller yet gamey Jiu Jitsu master in Helio Gracie."

" We are ringside and only moments away from the fighter's entrance, it is a packed open stadium here in Sao Paulo, where a huge crowd has packed out the large venue. Press the world over have come to this, what many inside Boxing specialists have called a mere spectacle. Others have called it a battle of skill and might in the tradition of the ancient Olympics of bi-gone era's. Whatever the opinion, this event has garnered tremendous coverage and publicity the world over. Even over shadowing recent developments on the Korean peninsula. I am joined ringside with two men who have unique perspectives on this historic match, they are Gene LeBelle the American Judo champion who has had lots of experience in Eastern martial arts as well as Boxing. The other man is the current world Welterweight and Featherweight Champion Sugar Ray Robinson who has achieved a lot in the world of Boxing himself, as well as being a friend of the former Heavyweight Champion.

Sugar Ray Robinson " I am excited to be here it's a lovely place here in Brazil, plus I have been fascinated by a fight like this. "

Gene LeBelle "Hello all, it's a great privilege to be sitting here with the world champion. I'd like to say that while I do not know a great deal about these Gracie's I am familiar with Judo and the martial arts, and while Boxing is a great sport, it is incomplete, you need to know how to punch, and throw someone so that you can break their arm or choke them out, or do both at once. "