Let the Shadows Fall Behind You

"Wait...we're allowed to be in here, right?"

"Why are you asking that now?"

"It didn't occur to me until now!"

Mark rolled his eyes. So much for professionals. He snapped his head over his shoulder to shush his two teammates. "Would you guys be quiet? We're already inside!"

Alright, so, ameteur professionals.

Mark turned back around to take another step into the ancient abandoned mansion. He, Felix, and Jack had been friends for a long time, and had formed a strong bond. Moreover, their shared affinity for the supernatural had lead to the trio forming a tight team of enthusiastic paranormal investigators. Ameteur, maybe, but determined nonetheless. And with a growing online community behind them.

Their target on the chilly October night was your typical haunted mansion situation. Houses were notoriously haunted, and any chance they got to investigate was thrilling. Mark felt the usual rush of confidence overcome him that always did with a new adventure.

And then there was a communal shock that jolted through the trio when the door slammed shut with a dead clap.

Mark spun on his heel to glare behind him. "Jack!" he scolded in a whisper so sharp it tore through the silence like sheet lightning. Felix copied the leader, narrowing his eyes and shifting directions to glare at the last member to enter the old mansion.

"It wasn't me!" Jack hissed, voice and body language frantic. His flashlight oscillated wildly in his hand, lighting up random parts of the ceiling and nearly tumbling to the dust blanket beneath their feet. "It closed on its own, I swear!"

The three men glanced around the grand foyer with suspicion in their eyes, but they squared their shoulders with as much determination as they could. Turning away from the door, the leader took out his night-vision camera.

"You all got your walkie-talkies?" Mark asked without taking his eyes off of the cobwebs draping from the chandelier and bannisters.

Two voices murmured "check" into the darkness.

"Alright, then," the American breathed, muscles tensing as he spoke. "Let's go find some ghosts." He readied himself to search the house. Their night of paranormal investigation had begun.

"Or- or just one ghost," Felix added.

His friends turned their attention solely on their teammate, shoulder slumped in exasperation.

"Yes," Mark said in a drawled-out tone,"that was implied. You didn't have to say it."

Felix shrugged; he wore a goofy smirk. "Well, I mean...I didn't want anyone to get confused."

"Who would be confused by that?" the leader whisper-shouted. "There's only three of us!"

"Jack's kinda slow sometimes." Felix reached behind him to pat the youngest on the head. "I just wanted to make sure he was on track." His hand was smacked away by his miffed friend.

"Fuck off!" the Irishman derided. "I'm the one holding everyone's precious snacks, don't forget. And if there's anyone who's slow around-"

"Alright, alright!" Mark interrupted for a second time. "From now on, just leave the witty comments to me, okay, Felix?" He took a moment to glance between his two friends. "Both of you, actually, just to be safe." Jack bristled again, but didn't speak.

Mark motioned to Felix; the second man in line opened his own camera and began walking forward in earnest, pulling the microphone from his backpack to connect to the camera. Jack took the microphone from him to hold out, dividing up the work evenly. Felix nodded to Mark.