A Rude Awakening

Through groggy eyes Jakes waking moments reveal the unbearably bright fluorescent lights of a hospital room.  A painful laugh burst from his lungs as he realizes this is his first time waking up with memory of how he ended up here. Immediately two police officers step into the room, the first thru the door walks as if the world is his.   His very presence showing he is someone in charge (of course the graying cop mustache along with the dour look solidify it).  Again Jake feels the burn in his lungs with laughter being the only response he is capable of in such a ridiculous situation.  "Good to see you awake, I'm detective Greyson and this here is detective Pendalton" he points at the young blonde man standing in the doorway who nods nervously. "We have a few questions for you", the older mans accusatory eyes signal that this is no minor matter. Jake says nothing, his heart feels like it is about to escape through his throat.   "What is your name sir?".  The old bum had no identification on him so with a shrug Jake looks up, "Would you believe me if I said I don't remember? I do have quite a drug problem".   "Guess we will have to figure that out once the doc signs you off to come back to the station with us", the look on the older detectives face grows almost predatory.    "What were you doing in a Mr. Jake Montgomery's apartment and where did you get that stab wound?".   "Oh, the asshole that jumped off the bridge?  He interrupted my nap with his screaming and almost landed on me, I figured he wouldn't' mind me going thru his stuff since he isn't gonna use it".   A smug look settles across Jakes face "As for this" he points at his bandaged ribs "I was hoping you could tell me".

It took many hours but finally the detectives had left with promise the promise they would be back for him when the doctor cleared him to leave.  They had stayed in his room all day asking questions that couldn't be answered truthfully without sounding insane.  He stuck to his story through all of it, "Look, some asshole jumped off the bridge then I took his keys and wallet".   "I'm not sure where this wound came from but I'm also not sure how many bottles I went thru over at Mr. Sadsacks apartment".  All in all Jake felt pretty proud of himself for his performance, it at least had frustrated the detective which brought some small pleasure from a bad situation. With both of them gone now its seemed more dreary in the pristinely cleaned room, the cold air chilling him thru the handcuffs binding his arms to the small bed.  "This isn't exactly what I would of planned for the night... unless maybe it involved a hot nurse and a bottle of Jack", he looks to the small television in the center of the room wondering if he had been more polite then maybe they would of left it on.

"Well he is obviously lying to us" says detective Pendalton in a flat voice.   "Nah really rookie?, the man under the bridge had his innards torn out.  How often do you see wild animals in LA?", Greyson sneers at the young man who supposedly has so much potential. He had spent a good chunk of his life on the force trying to make detective and this sniveling shit just gets the position handed to him.  Pendalton nervously looks to the ground, "Sir, his wound was obviously inflicted in the restroom.  Shouldn't we be wondering if there is another party involved?".  "Shit rookie, do you ever have any useful input?   Check for petty crimes in the area by vagrants, if possible I want to know who this guy is before we get him into custody "I'll be back." After several steps he hesitantly looks over his shoulder, "Want a coffee or anything?"

He didn't want to hate the poor guy, honestly he felt sorry for Pendalton at times but something about people with no backbone just annoyed the hell out of him.  Detective Greyson was one of the most respected men on the force but as he also knew he was one of the most hated and there was some sort of pride behind that.   As he waited in the corner booth of the same shitty diner he always went to he thought about the scene under the bridge.   The homeless guy probably didn't do it but the way this guys body had been shredded just wouldn't sit well.  His thoughts are disrupted as he feels a foot slide up his leg.  "You gonna space out all day or do you want the usual Carl?", the waitress sitting across from him smiles as he looks up. Aubrey was the only reason he came to this place, the food was abysmal at best.  "Oh sorry hun, it's been a rough day", even in her old timey diner work clothing she looked amazing with her dark red bangs framing her lightly freckled face.   Their gaze was abruptly broken by the most annoying song he had ever heard, he didn't know the name of the song but he knew who was calling him. He wrinkles his brow in annoyance, "I have to take this, just bring me the usual".   His eyes only stray from her momentarily as he brings the phone to his ear, "You got anything for me rookie?".