THE CUT OFF

THE CUT - OFF

Everyone will give you an opinion on how to live your life. No one, no one will give you good advice on how to end it. Worse, they will tell you to continue living, without any respect for individual choice. Yes, hi, I'm Gautam Arora, and after eighteen wonderful years in Delhi, I've decided to end my life.

I sat with my best friend Neeraj and his girlfriend Anjali at Costa Coffee, DLF Metropolitan Mall in Saket. The coffee is way overpriced, but considering I had a day to live, I didn't mind getting ripped off.

"The joke isn't that funny," Neeraj said, tearing open the second sachet of brown sugar and mixing it for his girlfriend. If this girl can't mix sugar in her coffee, I wonder what she will be like after marriage.

"Do I look like I am joking? You are in medical college, and as a friend and someone two years elder to me, I am asking your advice on what is the most painless, graceful way to go. And ideally, it should be available at the friendly neighbourhood chemist," I said. I ordered a chocolate fudge cake. What are a few extra calories on your last day?

Anjali kept quiet, her iPod plugged in her ears. She had come to the mall to shop with her boyfriend rather than meet me. Neeraj said he only dated Anjali as her father had given her a car and driver, which made it easy to go around. Besides, she looked ok. She was pretty enough to invite a second stare from men, though that's hardly an achievement in Delhi where men's standards can be quite modest.

"Dude, you topped your school. How much did you score in your class XII boards again?" Neeraj said.

"Ninety two per cent," I said.

"Ninety what?" Neeraj said as he ripped out Anjali's earphones, "Anjali, the dude scored ninety two per cent in commerce! Do you know of anyone who has scored that much?"

Anjali shook her head.

"Wow, you must have studied a lot," she said.

I nodded. I had done nothing but study in the last two years.

"No time for hobbies?" she said.

I shook my head. My only hobbies were eating three meals and sleeping five hours a day. The rest of the time was with my books.

"With ninety two, you should be fine," Neeraj said.

"Not according to SRCC, not according to Stephen's and not according to Hindu, oh what the heck," I said as I opened my rucksack.

I gave him the special admissions supplement from the newspaper. I had snucked it out early morning so mom and dad wouldn't see it.

"Wow, check out Lady Sri Ram. B.Com Honours is at 95.5 per cent!" Neeraj said.

"That's a girl's college," Anjali said.

"I know," I said.

"Don't worry, he wouldn't have made it anyway. Anjali, why don't you go spend some of your father's money," Neeraj said and winked at me.

Anjali and I both gave Neeraj a dirty look. Neeraj air-kissed Anjali and gestured to her to leave.

Seriously, don't kill yourself. To us, you are still the school topper," Neeraj said after Anjali left.

"So what do I do?" I said, my voice loud, "stay back in school? This topper tag makes things worse. My parents already threw a party for our friends and relatives like I have made it big time in life. I cut a cake with the icing 'family superstar'."

"Nice," Neeraj said.

"Not nice at all. All relatives congratulated my mother. They see me as the next hotshot investment banker on Wall Street. The least they expect me to do is get into a good college in DU."