The Mistakes

Prologue

Ashley didn’t think Ariana ever intended it to turn out the way it did. In the back of her mind, she knew Ariana’s intentions were sincere; however she couldn’t let anyone know she was on her side. Doing so would forgo all hopes of ever escaping Them. So every day Ashley would watch Ariana take her lashes, a reminder to everyone what would happen if they rocked the boat. Every day Ashley would ignore the pleading glances and the look of betrayal on Ariana’s face as she walked past her. All Ashley needed was five minutes alone with her and she could explain everything, and she waited for that day to come.

About two months after the incident Ashley found her chance. The Head had ordered her to take out the trash. As she was emptying the bin, she saw her. Ariana was lugging firewood through the backdoor. Taking a quick glance around her, Ashley raced over to the door. Ariana looked up at her startled.

 “What do you want?” Ariana narrowed her piercing blue eyes.

“Look, Ariana I’m sorry I’ve been ignoring you, it’s too dangerous.”

“When did that ever stop you before? There was a time you would’ve stood right by my side. “

“I know and I’m sorry. I can’t let Them know I was a part of it, or my plan will be ruined.”

“What plan?”

“I’m escaping.”

“Do you have a fucking death wish? Are you out of your mind?” Ariana exclaimed indigently. As Ashley was about to retort Ariana’s eyes widened. Ashley looked behind her to see Alexa walking towards them, her brown curls springing behind her. The Head’s daughter!

“Mommy wants to see what’s taking you so long. Why are you talking to a badden?” She pointed her pudgy finger at Ariana.

“Oh. I was just asking Ariana what we’re having for lunch today. You know it’s her turn.”

Alexa narrowed her small brown eyes at Ashley. “ You lucky Mommy didn’t catch you.”

“ I know. But you won’t tell will you?”

“ I guess not.” Alexa skipped away yelling, “ but better hurry or Mommy’s gonna be real angry.”

 Ashley turned to Ariana. “ Tomorrow morning go to the girl’s bathroom on the 3rd floor, second stall. In the waste basket next to the toilet you’ll find a note under some tissue. It will explain everything.” Without looking back she sprinted back through the side entrance, and racked her head for an excuse to tell The Head why she was late.