Coming Home for Christmas

Peel Regional Police

11 Division

3030 Erin Mills Parkway

Mississauga ON

L5L 1A1

Transcript of interview 11D/201213/17.

Interviewee David Richmond

Interviewer Arresting Officer Sgt Peter Willis, PRC3059

Page 2 of 4

Interviewee I got back home in Orange Walk Crescent about, I dunno, what? 4:30? 4:45 PM? When did I call you guys? About twenty, thirty minutes before that.

Sgt Willis The call was logged at 5:07.

Interviewee That’s about right then.

Sgt Willis Why don’t you tell me what exactly happened?

Interviewee Well, as I already said, I got home about 4:30, normal time for me. Parked my car in the garage, right next to Cindy’s. Went inside, into the kitchen. You can get right into the kitchen from the garage, right?

Sgt Willis I know those houses, yes. Go on.

Interviewee So I was just going to the fridge, maybe get a beer or something, when I heard noises. It was too early for Cindy to be home. She carpools during the week, doesn’t get home till 6, bit later maybe. Anyway, I got my gun from the drawer in the kitchen.

Sgt Willis Why didn’t you just call 911?

Interviewee Not sure. Just didn’t. And I’m a security specialist, so that’s how I have a license for a handgun.

Sgt Willis For the record, Mr Richmond shrugged his shoulders. Then what?

Interviewee I went  really quietly along the gallery to our bedroom. The door was half open, and there was light, but dim lights, you know? Like the bedside lights? I just eased the door further open, and there she was, Cindy. On the bed, face down, wearing the lingerie I bought for her birthday. Blindfold. Handcuffed to one of the bedposts.

Sgt Willis Do you routinely use handcuffs on each other?

Interviewee You mean did we. No, not routinely, just now and then, bit of fun you know. Anyway, she turned her head towards the door. Spoke in a really sexy voice. ‘Hi David. I’ve been waiting for you. Here it is, all for you. Anything you want, anywhere, any way. It’s all yours.’ She kind of raised her ass off the bed a bit. It was sexy, you know? Made me horny. I didn’t say a word, dropped my pants, had her from behind, really hard. She was really wet and came quickly, and so did I. Then I climbed off her, got the gun from where I’d left it on the nightstand, and blew her head off.

Sgt Willis I don’t understand. Explain it to me. You arrive home, your wife greets you in a way that clearly means she wants to make love, offers herself to you, tells you to do what you want. So that’s what you did, and then you shot her?

Interviewee Yeah, I did.

Sgt Willis Because?

Interviewee Because? Because I was supposed to be on the way to Lahore in Pakistan this afternoon, and hadn’t told her the flight out of Pearson had been cancelled. I meant to give her a surprise. I reckon I did that, huh? And that other David. He was pretty damn surprised too when I shot him as he pulled in the driveway. Whoever the hell he was.

Interview terminated