Chapter 24a: Apparent magnitude (part 1)

CHAPTER 24a: Apparent magnitude (part 1)

We won, of course. 33 to 10. It was the first Homecoming game Jewel had won in six years and everyone went crazy. With a quick goodbye to Bri and Deb, I hurried down to the field to congratulate Rigel--something I'd missed badly the past few games.

He was waiting, and swung me around in his arms, just like he had that first game we were "official." It was wonderful. But then he glanced over my shoulder and I suddenly remembered.

"Oh, your parents had to leave early to follow . . . um, follow up on a problem," I told him, mindful of the crowd pressing in on us. "I promised your mom we'd give you a ride home."

Rigel frowned, and I could tell he really, really wanted to ask what was going on, but he just nodded and said, "Okay, I'll hurry and change, then, so I don't keep your aunt and uncle waiting."

Practically ignoring all the people--students, teachers, parents and alumni--trying to congratulate him on his victory, he sprinted for the locker room with only an occasional nod or smile. Though it warmed me to know he didn't want to leave me unprotected any longer than necessary, I hoped he'd manage at least a quickie shower, since I didn't want Aunt Theresa complaining to me later.

I slowly made my way through the crowd toward the parking lot, keeping a sharp lookout for anything suspicious and keeping my "feelers" out for anyone that "felt" Martian. There was nothing.

Before I reached the gate, I saw my aunt and uncle chatting with a small group of people around their own age. As I got close enough to hear--which wasn't all that close, these days--I felt a spurt of amusement.

"Yes, he certainly seems a promising young man," Aunt Theresa was saying. "Sure to be offered college scholarships if he continues as well as he's begun. Did I mention he's taking my niece to the Homecoming dance tomorrow night?"

Her friends made various exclamations of surprise and congratulations. Judging by her expression, she was positively basking in it. It seemed like the perfect time to let her know we'd be giving him a ride, so I quickened my pace.

"Hi, Aunt Theresa, hi, Uncle Louie," I greeted them.

They turned, both smiling, which was almost creepy in my aunt's case, and introduced me to a few old classmates who'd moved away from Jewel years ago.

"Norma and I co-chaired the Future Teachers of America our senior year," Aunt Theresa informed me, "though Norma ended up selling real estate instead of teaching."

"Only because Tom and I started a family right out of college," Norma--I'd missed her last name--said. Rather smugly, I thought.

I smiled as brightly as I could. "It's nice to meet you. Aunt Theresa, Uncle Louie, would it be all right if we gave Rigel a ride home? His parents had an emergency and had to leave the game early, so I kind of offered."

Though her eyes narrowed at me for just a second, Aunt Theresa quickly recovered to shoot a triumphant glance at Norma Whatshername and the other woman--Mary Something-starting-with-J.

"Of course, dear. His parents have been kind enough to have you to dinner once or twice, so that's the least we can do."

Mary J smiled. "How nice. Theresa, dear, did I mention that my son Michael started medical school last month?"

Rigel hurried up just then, and I was more than happy to turn toward him, and away from the off-field competition between the adults.

"Hey, that was quick," I said, also pleased to note his clean, damp hair--not that Aunt Theresa would have said anything in front of her so-called friends.