The Book

Bathed in the golden light of evening, a young woman made her way up the concrete steps of the foreboding building. She gives the giant snarling gargoyle at the front wooden doors a dubious look before tugging as hard as she can on the big red oak doors. A frigid breeze disturbs the stagnant, dust filled air of the seemingly ancient library. The scent of mold and book glue invaded her nose making her sniffle. Books by the million line the walls and shelves from floor to ceiling. She calls out into the vast library but it greeted by nothing but dead silence. She wonders deeper into the building there were no signs anywhere, so she would have to find the librarian if she ever hoped to find anything. She glances down at the slip of paper with the book title her professor recommended.

"Hey," a gasping voice whispers in her ear. She whips around to find no one. She stands frozen looking into the dim light. A shadow moves across the purple and green faded carpet.

"Help me," the same voice calls. The woman walks forward down the aisle, moving deeper and deeper into the depths of the building. She calls out again, asking if anyone is there.

"Help me I'm trapped."

The voice was starting to sound like a small child's. She gets to a shelf where a large tomb juts out of place. She picks up the book and an embodied screech breaks her ear drums, making her drop the heavy book.

"That hurt you retched girl," someone shouts and she gets shoved to the floor, face inches from the pages of the opened book.

"Join me," the voice echoes around her. There seems to be a spell casted upon her because no matter how hard she tried she couldn't get up or even rip her eyes from the blank white pages.

Suddenly with her hands resting on the pages of the book she begins to feel something prickle around her wrists. She looks down to see that thorny, leafy vines have started growing from the book. They wrap around her wrists and climbing up her arms. She tries to pull away but the vines tighten and thorns dig into her skin. She feels her hands tingle and realized her fingers have started to melt into the page. The book was literally consuming her. The vines loop around her shoulder and tighten around her neck. She gasps for air and cries out and the vines tighten and tighten, tearing at her skin and slowly strangling the life out of her. The pages had consumed up to her elbows by now. She lifts her face to cry out one more time but it's lost on her lips. A dark figure crouches inches from her face, rotten teeth grinning and eyes glowing bright.

"You will stay with me," it says, the figure lunges toward her at the same time she is pulled down into the pages of the book.