Chapter 2: Mixed Emotions

" Grandma Diane is still sick. Thursday we are going to visit her," I was sad yet happy. Sad that my grandmother was sick. Happy that my parents actually talked to me and seemed to care about the situation. My parents rarely ever even acknowledged that Cole and I existed. I was the mother. And the father. And the sister. Cinderella story, much? I did whatever I could to help Cole and I cook dinner for us. (I'm not a very good cook. Dinner normally consists of microwavable stuff or grilled cheese.) 

 We went to visit her. It was boring. It was fun. I'm not even sure how that is possible. I guess it was nice to see Grandma Diane and to miss a day of hell. But, overall, the trip wasn't exactly full of fun. Grandma told me my clothes were too goth. I was wearing a band t shirt and a pair of jeans with large holes in the knees. I topped it off with some dark makeup, combat boots, and a black jacket. Poor Grandma Diane obviously doesn't even know what goth is. I wasn't anything close to goth, but I wasn't girly like Scarlett. 

I didn't know why , but my mind kept going back to the new boy. 

Liam? Larry? It started with L. Luke? Yeah, his name was Luke. 

I kept reliving the scene in the hallway. Even though he was a jerk, I would have sworn his eyes lit up with a certain sparkle and sweetness when my eyes met his. Maybe it was all just my imagination. I also wondered why Scarlett and Damien had taken him under their wing so quickly. I started to notice he was hanging out with them a lot. With me a lot. I decided not to think too much about it. On Thursday, I was just listening to music when I got a text from Scarlett saying:

  Hey Katie Boo, school was awful. It always is. Anywhore, I need u 2 meet me at the Dairy Queen at 9?  

I wondered what she needed but quickly responded with a yes.  

I was waiting for Scarlett at the local Dairy Queen. She was late, as always. It was 9:30 before she arrived. 

"Hey Katie Boo, sorry I was late. Anyways, let's cut to the chase, I have big news!" Scarlett said as she sat down across from me in the booth I had chosen. 

"Well, what is it? Did you get straight A's? Did you get a pet elephant with a purple sweater? Did you learn to fly? Did Damien get a girlfriend who isn't ugly or lesbian?'' I said sarcastically. She laughed.

"No, not even close, and come to think of it, I still don't think poor Damien is over Claire or Amy!" Scarlett said. We both laughed before she spoke. 

"Boyfriend!" 

"Uh, what about it?" I said completely lost. 

"I got one!" she said with excitement clear in her tone and facial expression. 

"Omg! That's great! Who is it?" I asked. Scarlett had a boyfriend a few years ago named Greg. He cheated on her and left her stranded at the park. She was just now over it. And obviously moving on. I remember holding her while she cried for hours.

"Matt Ward!" She said. I was pretty sure my jaw dropped slightly. 

"Wait- Matt the hot football player?" 

"Yes! That one!" 

"Whoo hoo! Go Scar!" she giggled and I smiled. We talked for a bit longer before she got up to leave. 

"Well goodnight Katie Boo! I have to sleep! And I want you to know that your the first one I've told about Matt! I am going to tell Damien and Luke tomorrow." she said before walking out. Damien and who?! Since when is Luke in our little group. That made me so mad! I can't believe he just barged into my life, stealing all my friends! I thought about it all night.