A Sad Love Story

I stared at her as she skillfully answered the teacher's question. Everyone stared and marveled at her, too. She's beautiful, smart, gentle, kind – everything a guy would be asking for. Everything about her seems too unreal. But there she is –real and true.

She smiled at me as she sat. My heart skipped a beat.

-xXxXx-

We ate together at lunch and I could swear all my guy classmates are staring at me. I could feel their eyes all on me. I gulped. But I'm lucky. Definitely lucky. For this girl – not just a girl – this beautiful and lovable girl to be my best friend. I can't help but smile whenever we're together.

I love her, but I couldn't tell her... I'm just shy... And I don't know why...

-11th GRADE-

We were as close as ever... We were always a team – partner. Whatever subject, we always get picked to be the representative. I don't care how busy I am... As long as we're together, I can take it. No matter how hard and how tough it gets.

We always come home late. One night, it was too late for a girl like her to go home. Of course, I wouldn't let her go home, alone. I offered to take her home. She gladly accepted. Her mother let me ate dinner at their house. I was too embarrassed but she just laughed and insisted for me to eat there, too. I can't reject it, of course. They insisted that I'll sleep there, too. But I declined. I said my parents will be worried... She frowned. I hated making her unhappy. But I can't sleep here. Just too embarrassing. But her face lit up again before I go home. She told me to be careful on the way home. I nodded and walked to our house, my face all bright and smiley.

I sighed as I got home.

I wish she would tell me that she loves me... I love her, but I couldn't tell her... I'm just shy... And I don't know why...

-SENIOR'S PROM-

Figures that she already asked someone to be her partner... I can't help but be sad when I heard rumors about it... But I can't ask her... It feels awkward.

When I was about to go to school, she called up and said, "My partner's sick, so he can't come... We promised each other that if the two of us haven't got a partner, we would be... Bestfriends should be..." And she laughed. It was painful... But I managed to say, "Sure thing, I'm coming there in a few minutes..."

I was hurt... I knew it all along. That's all we could ever be: BESTFRIENDS. Not more than that. But it really hurts... to know... That I'm only her second choice...

-xXxXx-

I rang the doorbell. She got out, and all my painful feelings were washed away when she smiled at me. When I saw her full-toothed smile. I was too weak. Too weak...

I realized that I had fallen for her, once again. Can this really happen? Falling for the same person all over again? Maybe. I just felt it.

-xXxXx-

I took her home and her dazzling smile before I went home made my day. I couldn't even remember that I was hurt...

I wish she would tell me that she loves me... I love her, but I couldn't tell her... I'm just shy... And I don't know why...

-GRADUATION DAY-

When the teacher called her name, she stood up and went to the stage, filled with self-confidence. She was beautiful than ever. Her eyes were lighting up and all I could do – again, and as always – was stare after her. Stare as she gladly took her diploma. Stare as she sat down. Stare and smile as she caught me looking at her – and she smiled back, too.