1

Important A/N: this is based on my real life terrifying experience. I am not writing this for sympathy. Please don't feel bad for me. I am safe, I have healed since this happened and I am doing great. Please do, however, be kind when commenting. Cheering for Jack is not welcome; nobody should do what he did. Thank you! ❤️ Sam
----

Laughter and chatter filled the warm summer air at Owensburg Elementary School playground. Kids grouped up and played various games. Red rover. Hopscotch. Tag. Jack stood apart from the rest of his third grade class. Their lame games didn't interest him much. What was so fun about sliding down a metal slope or sitting on a seat that swung back and forth? He'd rather stand there with the stick he found and idly dig in the dirt.

Jack stuck the stick in the ground and flung some dirt high into the air. As it flew up, he saw something in the distance drop down from a tree. Curious, he went over to the spot. A baby bird struggled to sit up on the soft grass. Straight up in the branches, the nest was visible spilling over a branch. More baby birds were chirping inside. He looked back down at the baby bird.

"What are you looking at, Jack?" a little girl with a long blonde braid asked from a few yards off.

Jack didn't answer her. He kept looking down at the little bald bird, watching it wiggle helplessly on the grass. It looked so weird.

"Come on," the little girl said to her friends.

They came closer. Jack didn't move.

"Aww," said the little blonde girl. "It's a baby bird."

"Aww," her friends repeated.

Jack couldn't understand why they were awing. There was nothing cute or adorable about the weak bald thing. He gave the girls a bitter look of annoyance, but they didn't even notice.

"Let's try to put it back in its nest," a brown haired girl said.

"No, you can't touch it," the blonde girl said. "The mommy bird won't want it anymore, remember what Mrs. Ross said?"

"What will we do then?" The brunette asked.

They're so stupid, thought Jack. He knew how to solve the problem.

He stepped forward and raised his foot as high as he could. With the force of his weight, he brought his foot down hard, straight on the poor little bird. It smushed sickeningly under his sneaker.

The girls screamed so loud, Mrs. Ross came rushing over to calm them.

Jack just stood there and watched the aftermath unfold. He couldn't understand what was wrong. They didn't have to worry about the silly bird now. He fixed it. Crying like that was just stupid.

"Girls, girls, what's wrong?" Mrs. Ross asked.

Her eyes narrowed at Jack before the girls ever told her what he had done. She knew that if he was around, he was to blame. It wasn't the first time he'd acted out. The little brunette girl pointed to the crushed bird and howled out a loud cry. Mrs. Ross's stomach turned.

"To the office, now, Jack!" she demanded.

Jack frowned, but he wasn't the least bit sorry about the bird. Mrs. Ross pulled him away. He looked back at the girls who were crowded around the crime scene, mourning and trying to bury the thing. He shook his head.

---

A/N: thank you so much for reading the first chapter of She Was His First. Names, places, and some events have been changed or created but this is definitely based on a true story of something terrifying that once happened to me. Thank you! Xo, Sam ❤️