Chapter 1

The sky was painted with a hue of orange and blue while the sun was slowly descending and the moon awakening. It was this time of the day that I enjoyed the most. The tranquility of the surroundings and the aesthetically pleasing sky, but everything was a paradox of what I had wanted it to be.

I stood on the hilltop, looking down at the dry lands. Everything was amidst chaos, destroyed and nothing stood but the remnants of the war.

I looked around, wondering why I was here, or why I was the only one here. The crystal of my necklace flickered and soon light left the pendant and floated, moving towards a path through the forest. With not much of a choice; I followed it, scrambling past the bodies of the dead warriors.

The night was falling onto the sky and the moon was starting to rise, and after a moment I reached a shabby pyramid.

The light disappeared from there, returning to my pendant. There was nowhere to go nor even a soul. And so I entered the place, trusting that this was the trail I was supposed to underpass.

Bones after bones lined the walls continuing to a set of stairs. They varied in size, and I realized some were too small to be a part of an adult anatomy. A shiver ran through my spine from the frightening atmosphere. I didn't knew what meaning this pyramid withheld, but for sure sweat and blood was spilt until the end.

Growing up as a Gazer I was trained to entrust wherever the vision is taking me, no matter how dark or how bright it'd seem to us. There was no backing down because we were chosen by the Moon Goddess to disseminate what she wanted us to know.

As I ascended the steps, the area grew darker and darker until it was pitch black and I couldn't see anything anymore.

I fumbled with my crystal hoping it would give me at least a tinge of light at this point. But it didn't, though luckily as I coursed higher, torches appeared.

I grabbed one, holding it with shaky hands and carried on, but it was useless because as I approached the end, a huge fire was set ablaze and the angry rays of the moon was streaming into the room.

A throne was situated at the far most wall. I gasped as I inspected it. Skulls formed the seat, arranged from the foot to the top.

I leaned closer and traced its headrest upon tendency. Each skull was containing a different rune. There was a written scripture in ancient Greek that I roughly translated to:

He who is the son of the Blood Moon,
Shall unleash its wrath.
He who starts the world domination,
Shall be the shard.

I faintly remember hearing the quote somewhere so I tried to scramble my disarrayed memories as to where I recalled this from. It was at the tip of my tongue but I couldn't tell.

The fire screeches startling me, seemingly getting bigger and as frustrated as I was. I instinctively backed away not wanting to get myself burned, until I felt the railing of a window underneath my palms. I stumbled, but immediately caught myself.

"For the love of Moon Goddess! What is this all supposed to mean?" I shouted to no one in particular.

As if calling back, the moonlight shined on my arms and I looked up searching for the Moon.

Although, I wasn't met with a silvery gaze, instead it was red. A blood moon.

And then it hit me.

The scripture.
The moon.
The prophecy.

------
I jolted up into my physical body, sweating profusely.

Why was I shown the prophecy? Why me?

The Elders taught us that it was an off-limits vision. We weren't given the permission to ask the Moon for it. It was a dangerous knowledge, they said. Only Augur, the Principal Gazer knew.

I was meditating and wasn't looking for any specific information. I had only let the pull of the Moon guide me.

Panicking, I wiped the crystal ball with a velvet cloth drenched in vinegar to purify it and then wrapped it in its silk pouch.

I was to attend my commencement tomorrow, graduating the conditioning for Clairvoyants and we were traditionally asked to reveal a recent vision from the ballizein. And I took this opportunity knowing that I wouldn't be inquiring for any answers but rather just be watching the Moon disclose genuine occurrences.

Was this what the Moon wanted me to narrate? Was I even supposed to tell the Senior Gazers? I didn't know how they'd react, or what I'd even say.

I quickly stepped out of my toga and into my spare clothes. I tried gathering my thoughts, scared of what I was shown. Everything was happening soon, and I wouldn't have a choice.

Oh fuck.