The Bidding

The bidding.

PREFACE

They were already talking about ‘it” when Brooke came in. Everyone around her whispered and murmured about the latest accident that happened. This time, it was a student from her school.

Valeria Alexandrovich, the Russian exchange student from France. She had caramel locks, bouncing up and down, with a creamy skin color. She was raised by her grandmother in France and then later on went back to Russia to reunite with her parents. 5 years later, she joined the Universal Foreign Exchange Program and exchanged places with Terrance Druart. Everyone thought she was this pretty, innocent student, just trying to fit in.

But she wasn’t.

Evil and sinister, she floated across the hall with pride.

“Brooke, have you heard?” Gemma asked.

“About Valeria? Yeah. “She answered.

“Poor girl. I can’t believe this happened.” Gemma said.

“I mean, who would do this to her?” Gemma added.

“ Well, it could be someone who hates her or something. You know, we shouldn’t worry about this.” Brooke responded.

“See you in class then.” Gemma trolled off to the left hall where her locker was.

Brooke was about to go to her class when the speakers went on.

Everyone stopped and paid attention.

“All students must go to their respective classrooms immediately. All homeroom teachers have important news to announce.”

It was a very windy day, and as Brooke walked, her school skirt flew off like leaves glued to her hips.

It was a Wednesday and everyone hated Wednesdays.

Especially Valeria.

Brooke entered the wide room with the other students and then sat on their chairs.

It began to rain and the students who sat next to the windows, shut them up. The wind raged like it was angry and furious.

“As we all know, a dear student and a friend of ours died 3 nights ago. She was brutally murdered. She got hit by a car and while she still had the chance to live, someone dragged her to the abandoned stadium and chopped her off into pieces. “ Wendelyn Bloomwood, The school’s “best” French teacher, wiped a non-existent tear from her eye and sniffed. A student snorted and she glared at him.

“The school council decided to arrange The Bidding.

The girls gasped and the boys flinched.

The last time their school hosted a bidding, everyone ended up dead. It was legal of course for the whole United States watched and voted and screamed for their favourite contestants.

“For new students, a bidding is an event whereas students are tested by strength, agility, etc. Each week, they get a challenge/mission. Take note that this is real and that the whole United States of America is watching.” The Bloomwood woman said.

“Ma’am, what does this have to do with Valeria’s death?” Quinn stood up and asked.

“Well Quinn,” She began, making gestures at Quinn to sit down.

“The students that are chosen are somehow involved with Valeria. Like her friends for example and a few others. We picked 25 students and 3 of them are in our class.” She smiled and look at everyone.

The students shifted places, looked down, hoped that their teacher wouldn’t call their names.

“Carson Blackwell, Dianne Torres and Brooke Lockwood. Please come in front.”

Brooke’s eyes grew wide.

She couldn’t move her feet.

Her ass was glued to her chair.

The other two stood up and waited for her to stand up but she remained in her place.

“Brooke, are you ok?” Wendelyn asked.

All eyes were on her, and big drops of sweat rolled down her face.

She shook her head and bursted into tears. Gemma ran to her side and tried to console her.

And from that moment on, Brooke was about to die.

~

This is my tribute to the Hunger Games. The book cover is not mine, and I’m sorry if it sucks. This prologue/preface is short because I’m writing this at 11:40 pm....

Did I mention it’s a school day?

I hope you enjoyed it. You will read more chapters soon.

HOPEFULLY.

Love. Alex J