I See a Silhouette of a Man

"Isn't it terrible?"

Your mother said as she leaned over. She was referencing to the news story playing on the TV in the Jiffy Lube waiting room, where you two sat. It's a Saturday, and grocery shopping is well overdue. You normally have your older sister take you, but she's working. Your mother has a day off and is going out to get her car an oil change. Though you prefer not to go out with her, the barren fridge was enough of a motive that you felt you could deal with it.

"Yeah, that is kinda shitty," you responded back to your mother.

You hadn't been paying particularly close attention to the television, it's enough to occupy.

The news story is about a house that burned down with a family and several neighbors inside. Apparently, the victims had been stabbed and tied at a dinner table. The only survivors are a young girl who is now in critical condition, and the younger son, who is still missing.

The suspect is eldest son, Jeffery Alan Woods, age thirteen, who was seen coming out of the house. The report continued to say that Jeffery had been a recent burn victim, having been doused with bleach and vodka by a classmate at a birthday party. He's described as having discolored skin, black hair, and last seen wearing a white hoodie with black dress pants. Jeffery was also being linked to several other murders that happened within the past two weeks. The news station cautioned listeners to keep at least one light on, lock all doors and windows, and alert authorities if you think you may have seen him.

You continued lazily watching the screen as it showed a police sketch of the suspect. "Ugly motherfucker though."

The receptionist called your mother's name, letting her know the oil change finished. She paid for the service, you two leaving promptly to the supermarket. Luckily, the food shopping had gone without incident.

You returned home to find your sister hunched over the dinner table eating leftovers. Still in uniform though her work shift ended probably a few hours ago.

"Hey," you said curtly in short greeting.

She replied in kind, turning over to you with dropped, groggy eyes. She seemed exhausted, but never the less helped with putting away the groceries; as she always made a point to. You followed after, grabbing bags from the trunk.

Your sister has always been kind, loving and supportive, always trying to pull her weight in the house, both with chores and financially. But due to the absence of your father, that means taking on more than a few responsibilities. In spite of that, complaining isn't in her nature and now is not an exception.

"How was work?" your mom asked your sister.

"Fine,"

"Did you get the mail?"

Your sister nodded and pointed to the small pile of envelopes on the side table by the door. Your mother gave quick thanks and began to shuffle through the post.

"Anything?" you wondered, taking a drink from your water bottle that you left on the counter that morning.

"Nothing much." She put down the envelopes and looked up.

"There's a bill from your self-defense class. How is that going by the way?"

"Fine." You replied, "I'm thinking of stopping though, and just practicing on my own. I mean, I've been doing it for like, a couple years. I feel pretty confident in it, and my instructor says I'll be fine."

"Okay. If you're sure,"

"Yup. I can stay at the same gym and you could keep dropping me off at the same times, if that's chill with you."