Soul Ties

Prologue

                Florence, Italy; February 14th, 1965

He sat quietly in the empty restaurant awaiting his love. He decided to go all out for her by booking one of Florence’s most expensive restaurants. Enoteca Pinchiorri situated in Santa Croce. Thousands of votive candles flickered throughout the room illuminating it with a golden glow; red rose petals carpeted the floor giving the atmosphere a sweet fresh scent. The black velvet box in his pocket weighed more now than it did ten minutes ago. His nerves thrashing wildly reminding him there is some part of him that’s still human, no matter how small that part was. Never in the thousand years of his miserable existence did he ever feel this way. Greed and hatred were the things that took precedence in his life. The feeling of ultimate immortality made him feel like a king. He killed without remorse, persuaded and influenced the people to please him; and the women. That was by far the most gratifying of them all. He would use them for their bodies, using his godly charms and abilities to please himself and when he was done he’d just dispose of them no longer needing the shell of the human that once was. That was until he met her.

Going through his daily motions he saw her, waiting tables at a small café in Tuscany, her home town. She was fresh out of high school, working at her parents’ café. She was simple yet charming, elegant yet modest. She was probably the only female who didn’t fall for his immortal charms instantly. Instead she made him work for what he wanted. He could’ve easily used the power of persuasion to make her fall for him but he wanted it to be real. She was the first human to make him feel alive again. Every insult she threw his way made him laugh at the irony. Here an inhumanely gorgeous man was called the ugliest creature on the planet. A real ego booster.

He never gave up hope though. He knew the effect he had on her, whether it was the way her breath would pick up speed when he speaks or the erratic beating of her heart whenever his skin made contact with hers.

He remember just like it was yesterday –when he entered the shop each day in hope that when he asked her out she’d say yes, but every time she turned him down, only for him to return the next and ask all over again-

She gave in eventually and through the years they’ve grown to love each other unconditionally. The day she promised to be his alone was the day he promised to protect her as his own forever. And he did just that. He watched her grow in maturity and beauty and he has never loved anyone more than he did her. He held onto her as if he was afraid that she’d disappear leaving him in his black world of lies and despair.

He couldn’t stand the thought of losing her. How would he survive? That is why he planned to confess everything tonight. The truth about who he was, then he’d ask her for her hand in marriage and the moment she says yes he’d change her into what he was so that they could be together for the rest of their immortal lives.

He knew that there was a possibility that she could turn him down. After all he had a scary past. But if that is what she wants then he will let her go because he loves her too much. He prefer live in pain than to have her miserable forever with him. She still had the opportunity to a happy life while his happiness was in the hands of the beautiful gray eyed princess.

He sat at the table, fiddling with the napkin constantly looking at the door waiting for the moment she would enter and let her honey and vanilla scent occupy the empty spaces in the room. She should’ve been her by now. He thought worriedly. They were on vacation at Florence, enjoying their time together before she is thrust into her schooling once more. That was one thing he admired about his jewel, she was dedicated, always making time for him and her studies. He was hoping that his new arrangement would prove itself easier for her.