Amy

Chapter Four:

 I’m tired. My mind flickers like a broken TV behind my eyelids and I see myself talking, face to face with Amy. Her harsh words echo in soft haunting tones.

“We’re just not on the same level anymore.”

“I can’t be seen with you.”

“You understand.”

I see the devastation in my eyes that I kept hidden from my features. Why would she say that?

A tear runs down Amy’s cheek,

“I’m sorry….. Just…. Just don’t talk to me anymore.”

Other girls stand in the distance, bouncing lively in there cheerleading uniforms. They call out to Amy and without looking back she wipes away her single tear and runs over to them.

They speak loudly and with their words bring a new feeling, a burning hatred.

“Do you seriously talk to her?”

“EW No. I just needed the answers for last night’s homework. She took it the WRONG way and thinks were like friends or something now.”

“She’s Pathetic.”

“I know right.”

I stand alone. Tears stream like rivers down my cheeks as I observe my face in the cloudy mirror. My hair, long and dark, hanging, covering my eyes. She’s lying. She is lying. I watch myself slide down the wall and sit sobbing on the dirty bathroom floor. I am the face of imperfection.

I’m pathetic.

And I hate them. I hate them all.

I hear the bathroom door squeak open and watch myself quickly dry my tears and hurry into one of the bathroom stalls. Sharp foot falls sound and there is a knock on the stall.

“Ally, are you in there?” 

It’s a boy.

“This is the girl’s bathroom, you shouldn’t be here.” My voice is shaky and followed sniffles; it’s obvious I’ve been crying.

“I really don’t care.” The voice replies, his dirty worn converse visible from under the stall door. 

“What do you want?” I ask.

“I have a proposal to offer you.” He replies coolly,

“Come out of there so we can talk.”

Reluctantly I dry my eyes and open the door to face a boy with dark hair and grey eyes. Without a word he moves in close and places hand on my cheek and wipes away a single tear. Without removing his hand he looks into my eyes and speaks,

“We’ve both been hurt. We both have nothing to lose. I have a plan.”

“No!”  I think. “Don’t go with him!” I scream down at myself to no avail. I watch myself take his hand and walk with him out the bathroom.