Chapter 9

Tharissa stood at the doors of the tower, the very one they had been denied entrance to three days before. It glowed, festively lit in the dark evening. Above it, a dragon flew, his dark form gliding lazily. A sight that, weeks ago, would have awed her, and now it was commonplace. So much so that, to her, the black form looked familiar, and lonely. She owed Dynarys her life, but one would never claim he was affectionate or particularly social at all.

Inside, the sound of music and voices rose and fell with the natural cadence of a gathering of happy people. She clutched her broken arm against the midnight blue silk of her dress. Her wounds were healing remarkably quickly, the aerie's medic applying salves and tinctures that were far advanced to those of the city. But though her ribs and the blisters on her palm had healed a great deal, her arm still ached.

This dress fit perfectly. She had found it on her bed after returning from the aerie's medic, and though the cryptic note with it had only said it was for her and to attend this banquet, she knew Morkuth had sent it. In fact, it was a little odd that he hadn't been there when she received it, the man had hardly left her side since the incident in the garden. A more attentive protector she had never seen, but she sensed he held a great deal of guilt for what happened. It wasn't his fault, of course; no one could have guessed that Kurath, the very Shifter who aimed to lead the aerie's pack, would have been behind such atrocities. It was too bad the coward had run. She didn't consider herself vindictive, but being banished forever from the aerie, with death the result if he returned, was a little mild for what he had done, and planned to do.

One of the many Shifter guards that now followed her everywhere turned her direction, as if sensing her thoughts. She did her best to hide a shudder. She knew better than to label them all by the actions of one, unfortunately her instincts did not.

Just relax.

She forced her breathing to continue on rhythmically, and avoided looking at the man.

She scanned her surroundings again. The note had been very clear, she was not to go inside without Morkuth, but she wasn't sure how seriously to take it. She did have her guard. As she was learning, the women in the aerie never went anywhere without some form of escort. It was a hard place to be lonely.

"Lady Bax," Morkuth's voice as he exited a nearby alley was enough to send small flutters alight in her stomach. His appearance when he neared the building's glow had even more impact. He was dressed in a deep blue formal robe that complimented her own dress, simple and yet the intricacy of the designs proved it wasn't inexpensive. She had never questioned who had sent the garment, but this confirmed the intent. They looked like a matched pair. Amber eyes assessed her, the corner's crinkling with good humor, and she found herself smiling back at him stupidly.

"Shall we go in? This banquet is a celebration of your victory against the traitor."

She blinked up at him, her heart dropping a little. "It is?"

He winked at her. "Only partially, it is also a celebration of the Archon defeating his challenger, of an important progress with the treaty between us and the city, and the passing of a week's long rain. Dragon Lords like to celebrate."

Tharissa relaxed a little, "I see. What progress is made with the treaty?" Had they defeated father's law? She was surprised to find that she didn't think that a bad thing any longer. She had seen enough of the Dragon Lords to know that the treaty's agreement had been misunderstood by the council, or at the least, her father.

"A hold on the decision, until your case is resolved," Morkuth offered her a wary smile, "so that you may return home without interference."

A mix of emotions ran through her. Relief, mostly. She could go home. The Dragon Lords, or maybe it had just been Morkuth, had taken care of her needs once more. As relieved as she was to know that she wouldn't yet be banished to the forest for her decision, a hint of regret seeped into her festive state. Going home meant returning to her father's house. It meant settling for any suitor that would have her, for she couldn't remain unmarried forever. A choice that now, more than ever, sat poorly with her.