I

The day was hot enough, yet deep within the small smithy, Col was not likely to escape it much and in fact was given more heat surged up into his face and which quickly soaked his small tunic with perspiration worse than that of outside. Yet that was all fine by the young lad. At thirteen, he had to learn some trade, and that of a simple blacksmith seemed to suit him fine; at least the Master Blacksmith of their small village was often complimenting his knack and skill. "When you keep your head here", he'd say, yet with a smile.

Had he gone into apprenticeship with other Master tradesmen, they may have been less forgiving of the boy's daydreaming, or tilting his ear towards every interesting tale any of the travelers their small smith received would tell, yet Daw, the Master Smith of their small villiage, seemed to understand and would just lightly correct Col or get him back on track.

Really, Col had lucked out, and having no brothers himself and his father having been dead since he was five (thanks to the nasty bout of fever to have swept their colony back during that time), the youth looked to Daw as almost a replacement role model. Up until his apprenticeship to the smith, he had been raised by his sister, Ryia, and her husband, and their was nothing wrong with his brother-in-law, other than being a main authority figure.

Daw instilled more the trust of an old brother. He was young yet, at least for his position as Master Smith, around Twenty, Col thought, though he wasn't sure, and in addition to being understanding on young boys not being adults yet, he also almost always had a kind smile or word for both Col or those about town. He was serious and expected those around him to do their duty in life and not shirk, but he wasn't hard.

Yes, Col had lucked out, and under Daw he would become just as good a Smith, moving from apprentice to Guild member and helping support both himself and his sister's family (if needed) by his trade.

Col watched as his Master and teacher beat out yet another horseshoe, an item they seemed to make by the dozens and which Col himself enjoyed making.

"Are you trying to bore a hole straight through me or has something else taken your focus again?" Daw spoke up, turning to the boy with a small smile tilting one corner of his mouth in amusement, and yet motioning to the leather tanning which was Col's current project.

Leather. It was another of the skills they utilized around Daw's smithy, it being the main one, yet Col didn't like it as much as metal.

"I was just recalling that I never thought to ask on your family, and truly know little on them though I've lived here always" the boy began, further putting off the leather work, "Are your parents about still and did you have siblings?".

Daw's face scrunched as if the topic was not one he wished to discuss. "No and yes" he said, and turned to beat out the horseshoe again.

No his parents weren't about anymore.

But yes to siblings!

Col caught up with his own questioning and what Daw's answers meant. His face brightened. As if knowing what would follow, the Master Smith went on before he asked.

"I had one brother. Older. Not surprising you wouldn't recall him, he left our village behind early on".

"Where to?!" Col asked eagerly.

"I don't know, haven't see him since he left". Daw returned to beating out the horseshoe, but there was something in his whole manner which made Col think perhaps he was...not lying, but avoiding telling the whole truth.