II

"It's much better balanced" Daw turned his apprentice's newly sharpened blade, the simple dagger from the other day, about in his hand, testing the weight before handing it back with a smile, "Perhaps when we do sell it I shall let you take home the profit".

"Truly!" Col's whole face brightened.

"Well, of course, you've done more work on that one blade by now than mine own self", Daw ruffled the boy's hair. Col laughed, especially as it seemed the Master Blacksmith was back to smiling despite the doom that had been pronounced for this day, much as the boy still didn't understand it. He must have cursed something by thinking on it, though, for just then the sound of hooves could be heard. Not an unusual sound in their village, but a jingling also accompanied it and Daw's smile faded as he turned with something like trepidation towards the work shop entrance.

A white stallion. Pure white, had stopped just outside. Col's eyes widened at the sight of the magnificent steed. Atop the horse was one seeming to deserve being his rider. The man's brown eyes were the same hue as Daw's, but his own brown hair had a more chestnut coloring to it and was combed back neatly where as Daw let his do as it pleased. His tunic was finely made too, and kept neat where as Daw's almost always had the soot of their trade upon it.

The man leapt down from his horse with a jovial laugh and, walking swiftly over, attacked Daw with an embrace. "Well, David! My own dear little brother, how have you been keeping?". 'David' grimaced at the use of his full and Christened name and stepped back from his brother's embrace, not with anger, just more annoyance.

"Daw was always fine enough for your use growing up, as was Dil!" he stated curtly, "but things go well enough here as I hold down father's own trade. How are the neighboring kingdoms, Sir Dil?", the blacksmith turned sharply back to an anvil after shooting out his statement.

The man, Anardil of course, laughed once more. He was just as amiable as his brother, Col noted, just...used it different it seemed. "They are all well enough" the visitor of a brother went on, "Yes, just a fortnight ago I found myself with the pleasure of passing though a most charming little village. Larger than our own here of course...".

"Our...?!", Col heard his Master mutter as he picked up a nearby blade in need of work and started in on it. The noise clamored over Anardil's words, but Daw seemed not to mind.

"...still you would have loved to see it, David, and I only wish you had taken me up on my offer to make Squire of you, all mere formality of course", Anardil smiled amused.

Col's contributions of both this day and the previous to conversations seemed relegated to be one word questions. "Squire?", the boy interjected in interest. Squires aided Knights! Both Daw and Arndil turned his way. The visitor smiled.

"And I judge from the fine splattering of soot, this would be your legacy of passing on Father's proud trade?"

"Must every word out your mouth be a criticism...", Daw muttered, before speaking up, "Yes, this is Col. Col, mind you, not Nicholas, I doubt any have ever called the boy such or would find reason, but he is my apprentice and a sharp young lad at that".

Col beamed at the praise.

"Col", Daw went on, "if his brash manner has not already said such, this is my worthy brother, Anardil", the blacksmith didn't sound like he fully meant the compliment in his title.

"A pleasure my boy!", Anardil bowed cordially with a smile.

"Are you truly a Knight!", Col asked and exclaimed in wonder at the same time, "Knighted by the King!".