Katelyn and Danny

Since the moment they'd met, Danny and Katelyn have been best friends. In addition to playing sports together, they both enjoyed listening to the same music. It was as if they were the same person.
"Here, check this out," said Katelyn as she shoved the left earbud into Danny's ear. She pressed play, and the blasting music started to play.
"Whoa, what is this?" Danny exclaimed.

"Good right?! It's With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear by Sleeping With Sirens! I love it!"They sat against the outdoor lockers. There was a slight breeze and Katelyn snuggled into Danny's jacket. She loved it when he let her wear his jackets. They always smelled like the cheesy cologne he wore, but she loved it.

Danny saw her shudder with chills so wrapped his arm around her, pulling her in. He had feelings for Katelyn, deeper than he'd ever felt before. But something always made him change his mind about telling her. He was good looking, 90% of the girls in her class had crushes on him, but Katelyn was different. She had never treated him like a piece of meat. She was always normal around him.

She looked him in the eyes and he realized that he was staring at her in a daze. Her dark brown eyes opened and closed as a smile appeared on her face.
"What?" she asked.
He smiled down at her. "How about a game of one on one?" he asked.
An excited expression appeared on her face. "How could I pass up the opportunity to kick your ass in basketball?"
Danny laughed, and then helped her to her feet.
They rushed to the basketball court that was in their gym, and Danny grabbed a ball.
Danny wore basketball shorts and a cut shirt, so he was fairly comfortable, while Katelyn wore shorts and a blouse.
In Danny's words, "First one to 5 wins. One point per shot.".
Her ball was checked, and she was off. Sprinting down the half court and stepping in for a lay-up. Danny tried to swipe the ball from her hands, but in doing so he missed. The ball flew swooshing through the hoop and she caught it on its way down.

"You're going to have to try harder than that!" she said confidently. A smirk spread across her face.
Danny gave a sarcastic smile. He loved it when she was competitive.
He didn't waste any time shooting a jump shot and catching up.

The score was 4-4, and it was Katelyn's ball. She stood at the three-point line thinking of her next move. Suddenly she blazed past Danny, shaking him in the process. She shot the layup and let the ball fall to the floor. She smiled and yelled in triumph. She was proud of herself.
"And the crowd goes wild!"
Danny clapped, slowly walking towards her. She stood a few inches away from the wall of the gym. "I hate to say it but I let you win."
"Yeah, right! I whipped your ass!" 

There was only a small distance between them, and for a moment time seemed to stop. Danny stared deeply into Katelyn's eyes. Those beautiful eyes. Sympathy filled his eyes when he was down, and cheer filled his eyes when he was up. Without thinking his hands were forcing her against the wall. They held onto her hips, pushing her back, gently enough not to hurt her, but forcefully enough to make her hit the wall. His hands still gripped her waist, but he became aware of what was happening. Katelyn stared up at him in confusion.

"Danny, what are you doing?"
He didn't answer. He grazed the back of his hand across her dark brown skin. Shivers ran through each of their bodies, but his touch was warm against her. He was preparing to do it! He was preparing to lean in and do the thing he had wanted to do since the first time they talked. He would kiss Katelyn and everything would be different. Everything would change. The words echo in his head. Suddenly everything that was happening didn't seem so pleasant. What if Katelyn didn't feel the same way about him? What if she acted differently when they were more than friends? Suddenly a kiss didn't seem worth it if it meant ruining what they shared.
Danny let go of Katelyn's waist and slowly backed away, a sort of horror plastered across his face that sent a shock through Katelyn. He looked down at the ground, unable to look Katelyn in the eyes.

"I'm sorry."

With that he started to walk away, ashamed of his courage...he had none. How could it be that the one thing he wanted more than anything in the world was the one thing he was afraid to get?

Danny stood outside his locker the next day after school, putting books into it.. He hadn't talked to Katelyn since the other day, and frankly, he wasn't looking forward to the conversation he knew would come up.
He closed his locker door to find Katelyn standing behind it.
"Why are you ignoring me?" she asked, while folding her arms across her chest and making a pouty face.
Danny frowned. "I'm not ignoring you."
"Oh, really?"
"Really!" he replied while setting his bag along with his books on a bench near his locker.
"Don't lie to me Danny, you suck at it!"
He didn't reply. He was busy stuffing books into his backpack.
"Is this about what happened yesterday?"
He froze for the slightest moment and then continued to ignore her. Katelyn grew impatient and grabbed his hand, stopping him.
"Answer me dammit!"
He sat down on the bench where his backpack lay, and let out a sigh.
"Danny, what's going on?"
"Can we just forget about it?"
"I'm not even sure what it was!" she said, while throwing her hands up in the air. She continued to pace while Danny stared into the distance.
"Danny, were you gunna...gunna kiss me?" she asked, the words choking her as they slipped out.
Their eyes met and all was serious.
"Yes." he answered.
This was the moment everything would change. She would either reject him or let him in.
"Why didn't you?"
Danny hesitated; he was ashamed of the answer. "I...I was scared okay! ...I was scared."
"Why?" she asked walking towards him.
He stood now. "Because, Katelyn....You're the best thing that has ever happened to me! To lose you...that feeling would be more painful than the feeling of a bullet shooting straight through my head! I didn't know how you'd react! How could I know if us would ruin us as friends?"
"Because, Danny, we were never just friends." she put her hand on his arm and looked him deeply in the eyes. "You have always been more than a friend to me! And I've been dreaming of the day that you see it!"
They stared into one another's eyes. Each of them taking in the words that flowed through the air. Danny leaned in, placing his finger lightly on her chin. "I love you."
In pure bliss, Katelyn smiled. "I love you too."
He leaned in, filling the narrow space that lay between them. It was more than anything they had ever imagined. Their kiss was like lightning, sending sparks through every inch of their bodies. His kiss grew stronger and more passionate. His warm, soft lifts searched hungrily for more of Katelyn. His hands moved down her back and grabbed her waist.
All too soon it was over and they both pulled away, stupid smiles across each of their faces.
"You don't know how long I've wanted to do that!" he said as he brushed a stray hair away from her face. Still cradling her in his arms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------