Chapter One ~The Mermaid

Juvia's POV

"Juvia!!Come on it's time to-"

I didn't catch the end of what she said as I dove back under the water. I just needed to finish one more lap to beat my record. I need to make sure I can be faster than anyone else I swim against. I cannot afford to be slow.

Being on the swim team not only means I can compete for scholarships, but it means I can swim whenever I want, which is perfect. I love the feel of the water surrounding me, drowning away any other sounds or thoughts from the surface. When I swim I forget everything. Water is my perfect escape from reality. My only escape really, everything else just reminds me of him and I hate it.

I finished my lap just before the timer went off. As I came out of the water I pulled some of it out with me. I started to laugh when it splashed on Lucy's new sandals.

"Hey! That's not funny." Her face gets all red as she looks down at her soggy footwear and then back at me. "I wanted Natsu to see them. Now they're ruined!"

I started to laugh a little more at the pouty face she just made at the thought her boyfriend. "Sorry but, we both know that's not what he's looking at."

Lucy has beautiful golden hair and fair skin. Not to mention she's definitely not lacking in the curves department. She has a great sense of humor and is the go to girl if you need help with anything. Being a Heartfilia means she has amazing connections with powerful people. She's pretty much perfect, unlike me. I don't think I'm too bad. I can look good if I wanted to I just, don't have the confidence to do it. It's hard to be super confident when you have bright blue hair and pasty white skin. Who looks like this? Not a normal person.

But you're not normal, are you?

Shut up.

As I snap out of my little self-deprecating bubble Lucy begins to go on about something.

"Well at least I have someone to look at me. You're not even giving any guy a chance."

"Well I'm sorry but I don't need another broken heart." The last thing I needed right now was some guy to toss my heart around like some football months before my race. She knows this already.

"Oh my God I'm so sorry it just came out of my mouth before I could think."

"Hey look it's ok relax I'm over him now remember? Just chill. The last thing I need from you is to go crazy, ok?" I really hoped that calmed her down. Lucy is sweet but she can be a handful when she gets like this.

"Yea you're right. Sorry for freaking out there for a minute, I just can't stand the fact that that JERK broke your heart like that. I can't believe there's someone that heartless."

"It's fine I'm over it ok? Now didn't you want to go out with Natsu or something? You were gonna get pizza right?"

"Oh yeah!" Her face lit up at the thought of her boyfriend. She started to skip towards the door but then turned suddenly face me again.

"You can come too ya know. I mean I know you don't like pizza but it's better than being by yourself."

"I guess I can tag along, but please keep your PDAs to a minimum." I really didn't want to tag along and I liked being alone sometimes. I definitely don't want to be a third wheel, but I know Lucy would just keep bugging me until I joined her. She's kind like that, not wanting to see anyone alone. She likes to stay with people to keep them company for as long as she can. She's social like that.

Enjoy it while it lasts, she won't stay forever. Nobady does.

I said shut up.

"OK then let's go eat! I'm starving." She looks so ecstatic as she walks out with me in tow. I don't know how she can be so bubbly all the time.

She has something to be happy about. People actually like her, even love. You don't have that.

I sigh as I realize my conscience is right, no one has ever loved me. They just put up with me until they're bored. Just like him. Lucy seems to be the only exception, I'm just scared she's going to realize I'm a burden to her and leave.

Ugh, self deprecation and pizza. I don't have the stomach for this. I think I'm gonna be sick.

Hey I know this is a pretty bad story but thank you for reading 😁
FINISHED EDITING CHAPTER ONE WOOHOO

-Jess