Collateral Damage - Unexpected

ANNE'S POV

Ariel’s party this—Ariel’s party that. It was crazy and I had a lot of fun, but that was all everyone was talking about the Monday after. Some things get annoying after a while. Nothing really happened except getting thrown up on and having an almost-kiss with Liam. I shuddered, as I replayed the scene in my head.

The girl was so drunk that she was tripping over her own two feet; she looked like a marionette that was being played with—it was ridiculous. Suddenly, she bolted forward, as vomit belted from her mouth and sprayed all over me. I was beyond pissed, I actually liked the dress I was wearing, and it wasn’t even mine! Sigh.

Breaking me away from my cloud of thoughts, my Algebra II teacher, Mr. Davis, asked me something that frankly, I didn’t want to answer. Did I remind you guys that I absolutely hate math? If I didn’t well now you know.

“So what is the answer to the question, Miss Graceman?” he asked pointing towards the white board.

That receding hair line of yours, I thought. I heard the words slip out of my mouth before they could register into my head and immediately clamped my hands over my mouth. The class erupted in a fit of laughter, and my cheeks lit on fire. Oh God, oh god, this is bad!

“Well then.” He huffed. ”Detention for you afterschool.” he stated sternly. Shit! I had never gotten a detention before! This was definitely a first. I groaned, sliding deeper into my chair. The Earth could really do me a favor and swallow me whole right about now!

I sat in silence, reminding myself that I was an idiot, over and over again. The rest of the class period went by in a blur, until the bell rang signaling the end of class.

“Can I see you for a second?” Mr. Davis called out. Looking down, I quietly nodded my head.

“I don’t know what that was back there Anne, but I don’t want to see it again. Understood?” he said strictly. “I know you’re a good student, but I’ll let you get off the hook today. Okay?”

Yes! I squealed internally. I silently nodded my head for the second time that day, trying to hide my excitement. Shuffling towards my desk to get my things, Mr. Davis spoke up again.

“But- There’s always a but!  “I want you to clean up the football field afterschool.” Oh, no, I couldn’t do that—Trent and Liam had practice today! I shook my head from side to side, indicating my disagreement. “No sir, I can’t do that.” I rushed out.

“And why is that?” he asked folding his arms.

“B-b-because—just because!” I stuttered, pleading with him.

“Not good enough meet up with the players on the football field, right afterschool.”

“Please, Mr. Davis, anything else but that.” I begged.

“No buts—you should of thought about that before you decided to insult me—be there, or you can get another detention tomorrow,” he stated harshly.

Groaning, I slung my bag over my shoulder before stalking out of the class. Mr. Davis, I strongly despise of you right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the bell rings, signaling the end of my 7th period, I rush out towards the football field—just like Mr. Davis had told me and meet many shirtless bodies. Many good-looking shirtless bodies that is. I take some time to check out their perfectly sculpted bodies, before Liam notices me and waves, coming over to where I’m standing—by the bleachers.