The Girl On The Bridge

As I pulled into the driveway of my uncles old, country home a shiver crawled down my spine and i took a deep breath before stepping out of the car.

I looked over to the bridge with the sign that read "private" in bold, black letters. i breathed in again, deeper this time.

it had always terrified me, the thought that in a few seconds anyone could flip and plunge from the unsteady railings wrapped around the edges of the old wooden bridge. A split second and a whole life is lost.

The tales i used to hear about it.. that beautiful woman.. They made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end yet people talked about them like it was "just one of those things".

I just continued walking up to the heavy wooden door of the house, ignoring the chill i felt coming from the direction of the bridge.

The house was old, damp, cold and all round not much more comfortable than the atmosphere around the bridge. A dark cloud moved past the bright, full moon, casting shadows which danced around me as i walked up the concrete steps infront of the house.

I knocked the door three times and the noise rang right through the house. No answer. "I guess he's in town then" I thought. Walking down the garden, past the well and back towards the car, I could smell something.. Something that was quite frankly disgusting. It smelled like road kill, which wasn't uncommon considering the surroundings. Holding my shirt over my nose. I looked to the ground. Out of the corner of my eye, I could've sworn I saw someone. Someone standing on the bridge. A woman standing on the bridge In a long dress! But when I looked up I saw no one.

The walk from the door to the car always seemed so long when in reality it took about 2 minutes. Getting into the car, I shivered again. This place could be so creepy in the dark...

*********

-I hope this is okay, it's not really my style.. But I guess.. If it gets a vote or two, I'll do a part 2?