Chapter One

Above is what I picture an awkward, teenage Castiel looking like. Thank you for reading!

"Four o' clock," thought Dean. "I get out at four o' clock." He glanced at the screen above his work station and saw eight more sandwiches to make and a little under three hours he had to slave to make his rent. He could do a half-assed job, of course, but that is not what Dean Winchester does when he has to work. Dean Winchester's work ethic is beyond anybody else's that has ever stepped foot in his Wendy's. Unless it has to do with school; Dean Winchester doesn't do school. The time it should take a good sandwich maker to make the average sandwich is seven seconds, and his time is five. He was claimed as one of the best employee's in the state, which is why the higher-up's put up with all his antics. He powered through the sandwiches and walked to the front counter to get a cup, slapping Endeszha's ass along the way. "Boy, you're trying to test me!" She laughed, rolling her eyes before turning back to yell at the order taker for climbing out the window. Endeszha's nickname is Daisy even though she is nowhere close to resembling a flower. Dean tuned her out after "This is a fucking establishment of class!" Grabbing his cup, he went to fill it up in the drive-through when a soft, yet husky voice broke his focus.

"Excuse me? You make the sandwiches, right?" A boy was standing there holding a half-wrapped JBC. He wasn't really a boy. He couldn't have been much younger than Dean. However, there was something inexplicably childish about him. Save for the intelligent look in his striking blue eyes and mature body, he reminded him of a child in his demeanor.

"Yeah," Dean paused, "yes I do." He dragged his lip through his teeth as he stepped closer to the counter. "Why, is there something wrong with yours?" The soft-spoken young man glanced up towards the ceiling; his response was stuttered, varying in loudness and speed.

"Yes, there is. I mean, it's made fine. Just, not how I ordered it. I don't eat cheese on my hamburgers. Or mayonnaise. I don't eat tomato either. I like lettuce and onion. No ketchup, I do that myself." The boy rocked back and forth on his heels, placing the sandwich on the counter.

Dean smiled, "So, let me get this straight. You want only bacon, lettuce, and onion on it?" He tried to meet the mysterious boy's eye.

"Yes. Plus, the hamburger meat." Dean couldn't help but laugh because he thought the beef was implied. What kept him smiling was how the boy made the sound of a raspberry when he said plus, so much more harsh and louder than the rest of the word. "My name is Castiel." Dean furrowed his eyebrows but shook the random sentence off.

"I'm Dean." Castiel tried to hand the sandwich back to be remade. Dean shook his head. "If you have anyone at your table who wants to eat that, keep it. I'm not supposed to take food back behind the counter." A JBC without cheese, tomato, or mayonnaise.

The blue-eyed boy nodded and pulled the sandwich closer to him as Dean walked back to his station to remake the sandwich. "I knew your name because of your name tag." Dean finished the sandwich easily, and in a split second made a foolish decision. He grabbed the marker from the overhead and quickly wrote his number down on receipt paper attaching it to the sandwich. 'Just in case anyone ever makes your sandwich wrong. Or anything else. -Dean (But, I guess you knew that.)' He handed the sandwich back to Castiel and returned to his station.

Endeszha walked over and punched his shoulder as he got back to work. "Winchester, the next time you want to pick up guys do it off the clock. I let you because that boy is hotter than hell but damn. I almost had to put Jamie on sandwiches, and that girl sucks at everything." Dean continued working not able to get Castiel out of his head.

----

Castiel sat down with his new sandwich and handed his stepmother the other one. "They can't take it back." He stated, opening his new and improved lunch. He flattened the wrapper, the note burning a hole in his pocket. He slid it in there seconds after he was handed it. Seven digits and a smile never made him feel so giddy. He also felt nervous, and like the butterflies in his stomach grew into Godzilla but that is normal. He hopes. It's not that he didn't want to show his mom the note, he just wanted to keep it to himself for a little while longer. It was personal to him, even if it was just a helpful way to get his sandwiches remade. He thought Dean was cute. He thought Dean was fascinating. He only knew Dean for about four minutes now. Dean touched his sandwich. Castiel is sufficiently awkward.
"Castiel, what are you thinking about?" His eyes trained on his mother's nose. She has a pimple she isn't covering up well.

"Nothing, Jenna." He calls his mom Jenna to her face because she's his stepmom and he is anxiety ridden. He views her as a mother, though, so he calls her mom to everyone else. Jenna peered at Castiel, knowing he is lying but letting it go.

"Okay. Well, it'd do you good to hurry up and eat. We have to leave soon. Do you have your co-pay?" He nodded and bit into his sandwich. Maybe it was just because Dean made it, but this was the best one he's ever had.

Castiel entered the waiting room of his therapy, straightening the papers on the side table before he sat down. The room was different today. Instead of the typical classical music played to cover up the sounds of pain, it was the Beatles. The change was unexpected and though it threw him off he didn't hate the change. Castiel loved the Beatles.

"Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter. Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here."

Castiel has not had an easy life. Some reasons why are:

1) He is autistic and never received accommodations due to it not being realized until last summer. It's still not on official papers, way too expensive to get an evaluation, but everyone knows.

2) He's been bullied since he entered school because people are mean and Castiel is Castiel.

3) His dad has been addicted to drugs since Castiel was a kid, and is just recently getting clean because of Jenna. Thank God for Jenna.

4) He knows dad loves him, but Mr. Novak is angered quickly and mostly absent. Much trauma has arisen from this.

5) Trauma has also arisen from a childhood of being passed between his grandparents and the unstable household of his parents. This happened until Castiel was 5, then his parents went through a nasty divorce. More on this later.

6) Unfortunate events seem to flock to Castiel like a moth to a flame.

The list of stress that has been piled on the blue-eyed angel goes on, but that's the major events... save a few. Nothing much has gone right, and Castiel is lonely. He has few friends and the ones he has he struggles to keep in contact with. He is very antisocial. He would say the color gray describes his life more complete than he ever could.

"Here comes the sun. Here comes the sun, and I say it's all right."

Something changed inside him when he saw Dean today. Eye contact is a struggle for Castiel, but the millisecond he glanced into Dean's green eyes he knew that the road is going to turn. Something about Dean. Something about Castiel. Something is changing.