How The Moon Learned To Care

Once upon a time, long, long ago in the Darkling Woods, animals suffered under the hand of the savage moon. The moon huffs and puffs and prowls and howls. All of the animals of the Darkling Woods wouldn't dare venture outside their burrows and keeps, in the trees and deep in the ground.

On this particular month, a wise old owl decided to visit, not knowing of the dark tales that surrounded the woods like clouds. On the very first night, the wise old owl witnessed the deeds of the savage moon. He howled at the baby bunnies and prowled behind those who least expect it. The wise old owl was so devastated by the savage moon's actions that he decided to go and speak his mind, since no one else would.

The other animals begged and pleaded with the wise old owl, not to go, to stay with them in the safety of their homes. However the wise old owl was indeed a wise one so he refused the woodland creatures hospitality and set off to speak his mind.

He flew until he reached the top of the tallest tree in the Darkling Woods, perched himself on top and waited for the savage moon to come and strike. Suddenly, the moon came whooshing round the trees at top speed, lose branches snapping behind. He skidded to a halt, as he saw no fear in the owls wide eyes. The wise old owl shouted up to the moon, "O savage moon! Why do you torment and destroy what others hold dear? Does it bring you pleasure? Do you know what your pleasure is costing others?"

The savage moon just stared at the wise old owl, perched atop the tallest tree in the woods and wondered who he was? "Who are you to question my motives? I am all-powerful, nothing can defeat me!" the savage moon boasted. The wise old owl simply shook his head "That is not what I asked you, O savage moon. I only asked if you enjoyed destroying what others care about."

For once the savage moon was speechless. To respond to the wise old owl he just huffed and puffed and blew the wise old owl out of the tree. Night after night, the wise old owl came back to the tree and questioned the savage moons motives, making more and more intelligent points about what he was doing to the woods and its animals. Though the moon didn't realize at first, he had begun to calm down.

He would no longer blow away the squirrels homes and he would no longer chase the baby bunnies. He no longer kept them in the dark. The savage moon had become caring and gentler throughout the wood. 

On the final night of the wise old owl's stay in the Darkling Woods he went up to see the moon one last time. He cried out, "It is my last night in this woods." The moon was taken back.

"So soon you are to leave?"

"I promise we will meet again, in this life or the next."

The moon was greatly saddened by the wise old owl's words but brightened up when at the owl's promise.

"I shall remember you, old friend!" the moon exclaimed.

And with that, as the wise old owl took flight, the moon shone its very brightest. The owl hooted his happiness to the moonlit skies ahead and had never felt better.

For the wise old owl had taught the savage moon how to care.