How I Met My Best Friend

Dylan's POV

Katie and I have been best friends since first grade. It was at recess. Some boys were cornering Katie, laughing and pulling at her pigtails.

"Look at her handles!" One boy snickered.

"She looks like a dog." Said another.

"An ugly dog," another added.

"Hey!" I yelled. "That's not very nice!" I tried to act tough.

"Oh really? What are you gonna do about it?"

"Tell the teacher." I smiled proudly. The boys just laughed. My fists tighten in anger. I tried to remember the tips mommy told me to calm down but I lost it when one of them made another comment.

"She'll never make any friends."

"She's too weird."

"Leave her alone!" I took my fists and hit the boy on the cheek. I stood proudly as they ran away. I turned around to see the girl with her knees to her chest.

"Are you okay?" I asked gently as I sat next to her.

"Yyou didn't hhave tto do tthat." She stuttered.

"Of course I did." She looked up at me and smiled.

"What's your name?" She asked.

"Dylan. What's yours?"

"Katie."

"Can I promise you something Katie?" She nodded. "I promise that I will always protect you from bullies and meanies and bad guys. I won't let anyone hurt you. I promise."

I take promises very seriously. Especially those I make to Katie. I kept that specific promise.

Until we were seventeen.