Chapter 1

I heard them laugh at me behind my back. I heard all of them.

"She's such a slut!"

"I heard she cuts herself, FREAK!"

"You cow."

"You're an ugly one, aren't you?"

"You stupid whore, go kill yourself."

I ran as fast as I could, to where?  I didn't know. But I had to get out of there. I ended up on the soccer field on the other side of school. As I slowly let my weight down on the grass, I finally let the tears fall. Why? Why did this have to happen to me? Why should I be the one to have to go through all of this shit? I pulled myself up and buried my face onto my knees. I couldn't help but think of just shooting myself right then and there. After about what seemed hours of pitying myself, the bell rang. I decided to go back to class after all.

         I wiped my face with my sleeves before entering my horrible math class. "It's a good thing I don't wear makeup," I thought to myself. I felt relieved as I walked in a few seconds before the bell rang. I went into the back, quickly sitting myself into my corner, and let out a big breath. I just shook my head thinking of how I turned out this way.

      "Are you okay?" I heard a voice whisper to me. I looked up, and saw that the new kid, Drew Malino from New York, had looked at me. He was beautiful. His eyes were these dreamy, chocolate brown eyes, his hair was medium brown, and he was just perfect. The cutest smile ever. He had only been here for about two weeks, but was someone who I could call a friend. He didn't really know about what people said to me.

"Yeah, I'm fine," and simply gave him a grin. He smiled back, but not looking assured of whether I really was. The rest of the period was dreadful. Mrs. Baker, the teacher was teaching a review of the Pythagorean Theorem. I eventually zoned off and let my mind go blank. Until I caught myself staring at Drew. I quickly looked away after seeing him chuckle at me.

There was something about him that made me feel okay. He made me feel like I was normal again. Cheesy, right? But in all honesty, he made me feel happy. The bell suddenly rang, shaking me out of my useless thoughts. I collected all of my notebooks together and sent a grin to Drew and stood up. We had the next class together. Practically running out of the room, I didn't want to face all of the retorts and name calling in the hallway. But of course, not everything goes the way you want it to happen.

     "Where do you think you're going, shorty?" I heard Ryan Giardino call out at me, pushing me against the wall. Wincing, I looked away from his face. I didn't say a word. Pure fear ran throughout my whole body.

"I asked you a question, you bitch!" he slammed me once again, this time spitting on my face. The pain was growing on the back of my head, and my heart was racing. He'd been doing this to me for 3 years. He was one of my biggest nightmares, I genuinely hated him. But I NEVER had the guts to do anything back to him.

"To my LA class," I answered softly. He grabbed me by the wrists and pulled me onto the ground. I groaned as the burning sensation had started growing on my cuts. He laughed at me and walked away. 

       "Rayleen!" Drew frantically shouted as he helped me up. I scrambled onto my feet while a horrible ache pierced my head.

"Why whould he do this to you?" he asked me while picking up my books.

"Don't worry, it happens everyday. Everyone does it," I painfully smiled at him. He sighed and hugged me tight.

"Don't you ever let anyone treat you like that," he looked straight into my eyes.

"You're beautiful and smart and you deserve better than this."

He thinks I'm beautiful,  oh my god. My cheeks turned warm, as I knew I was blushing. "Thank you," I said quietly to him and looked down at my feet. He walked with me to class. We had finally got there after he brought me to the nurse.

"Ms. Fontelera and Mr. Malino? You're late," Mrs. Purkiss had sternly looked at us. I looked down, and felt embarrassed in front of the whole class.

"I'm sorry, it was all my fault ma'am. I had to bring her to the nurse," Drew quickly said to her as he handed her the pass. She nodded, meaning she'd let it go this time. She was genuinely nice, and happened to be my favorite teacher. We sat down at our table and just chuckled at each other.

-Later-

      After school, I walked home. I no longer took the bus for obvious reasons. It was a good thing I had a shortcut that no one went through. As I was walking, I heard footsteps behind me. I decided not to look behind me, something in my brain said 'no.' 

I started to walk a little faster, each step turning into a run.

"Rayleen! Wait!" I heard behind me. It sounded familiar. Drew. I turned around and surely he was there. I sighed out of relief, it wasn't someone else.

"Damn, your fast," he choked, out of breathed. I just giggled and looked down, how could I be so silly?

I waited for him to say something, but he didn't. We just stood there smiling at each other. But I still thought it was perfect.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

First story EVER! How'd you guys like it? Feedback is extremely appreciated (: ♡♡♡