It Helps

Maybe it didn't start out this way. Maybe they weren't in love to begin with. Love is weird like that. When you enjoy being around someone, you choose to be around that person more. The more time you spend with a person, the more comfortable you become with them. The more comfortable  you become with them the more they mean to you.

So maybe when it started it wasn't romantic love. It was platonic. It was two friends, and then best friends. And who isn't a little bit gay with their best friend?

Through the years together they had gotten closer than ever, and their fanbase (or "phan"-base) continued to grow. It seemed like they hardly did anything without each other anymore. They went through a lot together and it only cemented their care for each other. It helps to have someone whose been there with you through it all.

They didn't think of it as anything more than being best friends.

Dan sat in the crease of the couch as always, relaxing into it. Phil sat beside him with a cup of coffee in his hands. Some obscure anime was playing on their television.

When Phil leaned his head on Dan's shoulder it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for them. It was perfectly normal. They knew the "phans" would make a big fuss if they knew, though. Dan absentmindedly leaned his head onto Phil's, and Phil watched as Dan scrolled through tumblr. Everything was peaceful, happy even.

After a long while of sitting like that contently, Dan put the computer down to turn his attention to the show. His position changed and with it Phil's, until Phil had his back against Dan's chest, and he was between Dan's legs. They laid like that pleasantly until Dan realized Phil was passed out against his chest. He kissed his sleeping roommate's forehead and then smiled before gently pushing him in mock anger. "Get up and go to bed."

"Why?" Phil frowned, mumbling as he came out of the haze of sleep. Dan helped him get up a little and when they stood Phil pressed his lips to Dan's lightly. "You're my best friend, you know that?"

Dan rolled his eyes. "Go to bed," he stated and carefully guided Phil to his room before shutting off the hallway light and making a run for it to his own room.