Chapter 1

Flashback

*Veronica's POV*

I was sitting on the couch with my friends Eva and Jess. We were working on homework together after school. My brother Preston and his friend Aaron were in the kitchen grabbing some chips and sodas for all of us. I decide to turn on the television and put on the news. Aaron and Preston sat down with the chips and drinks. We all reached for what we asked for. That's when the anchor on the TV screen spoke up:

Male Anchor: "There seems to be a missing person. He is a student at Glen View High School. He is 18 years old and his name is Jason McCann. His family and teachers have reported that he has been missing since Monday morning. His family said that they saw him before he left for school Monday morning."

Video of Jason's Mom's interview: "I saw him Monday morning. I made him breakfast and we had a normal conversation. He told me he loved me and he would see me later that night. But he never showed up that night. I figured maybe he was with a friend or at the library studying. I tried calling his cell phone but it went straight to voicemail. So I was panicked. I waited to see if he showed up the next morning but he never did. I called the school and asked them to look out for him. I got a call later that day from the school saying that he never showed and that he was missing a bunch of school lately. They said he either never showed up or ditched in the middle of the day. He is a good boy and would never do anything to hurt anyone. Please come home Jason."

Male Anchor: "If you know anything about Jason's whereabouts, please call this number..."

Aaron and Preston's mouths fell to the floor. "That's that one kid. He is like super smart and he is in my weight lifting class," Aaron spoke. I looked to them and then Preston spoke up. "Yeah, he tried out for the football team and made it. But he turned it down for some reason. He seemed really cool. I can't believe he is missing," Preston sat there with a confused facial expression.

"I thought he was really cute at one point. But I knew I wasn't his type and he was definitely not mine," Eva said. Jess nodded along to what she was saying. "That is just really weird, you know? Normally, it is girls that go missing because of perverts. I wonder what happened to him. I mean he could just be with friends or something," Jess shrugged. I sat there listening to everyone's concerns.

That's when Preston looked to me. "Veronica, did you ever talk to him or see him around school," Preston asked. I nodded, "Well yeah, he was in my engineering class. He sat next to me on the very first day. He never switched seats or anything. I don't really talk to anyone in that class. He and I would make small talk about the projects but nothing more." Preston nodded and started thinking a little deeper. "Did he ever like give off a bad vibe," he asked. I shook my head no, "He just seemed like a normal person. He was nice but very secluded like an introvert."

"That's a damn shame. I hope he turns up," Aaron said. My brother agreed and turned off the TV. "Let's just work on our homework guys. No more distractions," he spoke and we nodded in agreement. I continued on my homework but for some reason Jason was still in my mind. I remembered his eyes and facial features. Those eyes held a story, one that no one knew. Something was off. Why would he go missing? He's not a bad guy. I hope he is okay.

*3 Weeks Later*

Ever since Jason went missing, there have been strange things happening around the town. School was fine, we all felt safe there. But once you stepped off the property, everyone felt cautious. There have been robberies, killings, and hold ups all around California. Everyone felt uneasy at this point.