Chapter 1

Wet boots, wet socks, frizzy hair, skeevers every turn, and I can't see a damn thing.

Yes, I really need to thank Delvin for this wonderful suggestion when I get back to the Cistern. "Go through the sewers Key, it's just too easy you'll end up right in the backyard and be in and out of the mansion in no time at all" he didn't think about the fact that my boots, full of water, would be making squishy squashy sounds with every single step I take, now did he? Or the smell of well, sewer that would creep up my nose no matter how little I make my breaths.

Even though I ended up "right in the backyard" I had to turn around immediately, with absolutely no loot. 'What a waste of a perfectly good night, and I really needed this loot too. It's not like I didn't bring anything in this week, but only.. 57 septims, that silver ring, two amulets of Mara.. o yes I did get that key to the apothecary in Windhelm. But of course Vex got to actually use it and she'll get all the credit for another successful job', sigh.

'No no I shouldn't put my frustration out on her, Vex actually gave me that piece of bread when I first joined. It went together with saying I looked like a starving skeever and that it'd be a miracle if I'd contribute half a wolf's hide to the guild if I would pass out of malnutrition while running from the guards. But it was more kindness then a few of the other guild member showed me, they weren't mean but..'  SPLASH

I immediately started flailing my arms and legs until I could breathe again, the cold water slowly seeping into every nook of my gear, I immediately start shaking and let loose a frustrated scream. Which feels very good for about two seconds before I hear a squeal and faint footsteps hurrying away above me. 'O.. guess there will be another ghost story going around in the Bee and Barb for a few nights to come', I think while chuckling quietly to myself. Then I throw my head back to get my now heavy and sticky strands of dark hair out of my face.

I take a deep breath, start coughing because of the stench, and start slumping onwards through the dark tunnels while tracing the walls with my right hand to orientate myself a little.

'I really need to talk to that Marcurio guy about teaching me that spell to conjure an orb of light, what was it called again Luminous.. Lightios.. Lumos..? No that's, I don't remember where that's from. Candlelight that's it! Yes I really need to learn that spell.'

The water seems to be a bit more shallow here, finally. 'I should be getting closer to the dryer part of the Ratways. I really need to get some dry clothes, I feel like my jaw can't stop clattering.'

'I turn around what feels like the 30th corner, I will most definitely scrub my hand clean for 2 hours straight when I get out of this. Why does the way back seem to take so much longer, then the way to. Okay it probably has something to do with getting drenched halfway through.'

Wait, is that light at the end of this tunnel? O thank Azura. I squint my eyes and see a faint light emitting through the block shaped fence covering the the small archway leading to the Ratway Warrens.

• • •

Thanks so much for getting to the first chapter, I wasn't sure where to end it so chapter two is being uploaded immediately after this :)
Hope you kind of like my writing until now, and I hope you'll enjoy the next chapter. We'll get to the actual cistern I promise.