Wandering Souls

The busy metropolis was glowing with life, neon signs shooting off down the road, a spectrum of colours refracting into my eyes opening up a whole range of colours I had never seen before even at this time of night. Mom must be worried about me, that was just like her being too caring as to be overprotective for my safety but in a clingy yet loving manor. I loved the streets of Tokyo at night with the narrow roads and alleyways that seemed to shift when the wandering eye wasn't looking. The smooth yet narrow alleyways being illuminated by a few single white lights dotted along them with equal space inbetween, the silence along them being broken every so often with drunkards laughing and shouting over a game of cards atop of a crate, an ashtray in the middle with the burning end of cigarette cinders withering away into the night sky.

As I walked past my uncle Zahko's shop I could see a popular place among the students from my school ; Shinto Arcade. Open 24 hours, it was usually this busy at this time of night as I could see kids as old as me, spilling out of the arcade ready to spend their hours away into the morning playing video games while smoking a cigarette or two. Nightlife in the heart of Tokyo was mesmerising. Streets bustling with a carcophany of sounds from the roars of family cars and the booming of motorbike exhaust pipes to the enchanting slow jazz that intertwined with the city's atmosphere, coming from within The Pearl restaurant. Everything was harmonious as one action complemented the next, a certain essence of perfection that I only felt while walking through this part of Tokyo at this time of night. You could hear the recognisable cry of the street vendors urging locals and tourists alike to try their many delicacies on offer. The streets of Harajuku lit up, creating a pathway of fluorescent colour, a trail tempting me to follow it through all of the distractions, eventually leading me to my end destination.

A night that seemed so perfect until fate had other plans. Tonight was when I tasted death's kiss.

Today like any other day, the same routine day in and day out waiting for the 7 O'clock train from Tokyo to Shinjima prefecture, the usual crowds of people flowing in through the entrances, an organised chaos channelling through the station like a school of fish.

Arriving at Shinjiku station waiting for the train, out of the corner of my eye I could see a girl skipping and laughing in a scarlet red dress that stood out from the already brightly lit station. She was laughing playfully as she skipped and played around but she suddenly stopped. For a brief moment a smile seemed to tug at my lips as I was watching her playfully skip, her dress following her as she spun around multiple times in a spindle like fashion. Spinning as effortlessly as a rose petal in the soft evening breeze. For a brief moment it felt as if time had frozen as she stopped skipping and looked directly at me, her gaze meeting mine, her crystal emerald eyes painted a deep sea green with flecks of light brown in contrast to the light that was dancing in her eyes, making me feel as if I had known her from a previous life. Her face was undefined seeming to be sculptured by an artisan with every minute detail an awe to witness. Her lushious black hair parted from one side flowing down her soft face covering one eye, flowing down her shoulder like an elegant waterfall stopping suddenly at her hip.

She turned and faced towards the oncoming train in the distance, every so often looking back, waving her fingers in a playful motion and smiling as if she could tell what I was thinking. I awoke from this trance like state as the train had finally arrived but as I did so I could see her delicate face give a beautiful smile, a smile that made me feel safe and warm. Her presence was strong and I felt like I had met her from a time long ago, almost as if I'd known her for thousands of years. As I walked towards her to try and follow her sweet scent I was interrupted by a stampede of people struggling to get off of the train.

As the stampede dissipated, I stepped onto the train and all I could think about was that girl who I had met just moments ago. The trains were packed as usual and you would think that the council of Tokyo would do something about it but they didnt care about us, not even a little. As the train started to move and gradually pick up speed, I could already hear the heavy breathing of the passengers from the left and right, all of us packed together like the time old phrase "Sardines in a can". As The moon shone brightly outside, glistening in the velvety night sky, reminding me of the light that I saw dancing in her eyes a few moments prior, the stars glowing calmly and seeming to wink at me as if they were urging me to find her divine comfort once more.