Chapter 10

The next day, I stay in bed. I have no motivation to do anything. I just spend it trying to get my feelings together. Jason stays with me for a while but then he goes to do his own thing so I'm left alone to ponder about my decisions.

The most important, is my decision to stay here. I'd definitely be able to hold myself down if I chose to leave here. I'm a smart girl. Finding a career will not be hard. I don't feel comfortable staying here now that my dad's gone. People will always look at me different now. Not as soldier but as someone you need to be sympathetic towards. A girl lost, not a strong independent women. I wouldn't be able to handle that. I would lose my mind. It's not too late to leave. There's really nothing that could keep me here

Nothing except for Jason.

He's the problem in all this. It would be so easy to leave if I hadn't met him. He's the only thing that could keep me here. But after what just happened, I can't just dump him like that. He's been helping me through it and I've been helping him through it. If I was the reason he did something to himself, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

Today is the day. The six veterans will be honored for their service and dedication to the country. For risking their lives to help us.

But I don't want to go. I can't go. Not like this. I just can't.

It's about 7:00 and I'm still in bed. I don't remember where I put my dress and I sure don't want to look for it.

There's a knock on the door. I know it could only be one person.

"Kimberly, open up."

I don't answer and I don't get up.

"Kimberly, please. I know you're still in bed."

I keep myself seeded in the bed.

The doorknob twists and turns and then it opens and Jason walks in.

"How'd did you..?"

"Kimberly, you have to go. It's your dad's funeral."

He sits down on the bed, next to me, and places his hand on my stomach.

"Please."

The look on his face is one of disparity. I know he probably feels the same way that I do but he knows that we need to go. We need to honor our fathers. This is us letting go.

I push his hand off my stomach. He then lays down next to me, my face inches from his.

"I promise I won't leave your side," He brushes my hair to the side and lightly kisses me. "But we gotta get going."

Like a baby, he lifts me off my bed and rests me in his arms.

I can't even believe he has the strength to lift me up like this. I actually feel like a baby in his arms.

After a few pecks on my body, he lets me back down on the bed and goes to find my dress. Once he finds it, he watches as I change into it. He never talks his eyes off of me.

"You look sexy." Jason says as he wraps his arms around my waist.

The next thirty minutes I spend putting on makeup and getting myself ready. When seven comes, we are out the door and making our way to the command center to meet up with the officers. Jason wrap around me the whole way but I don't know he needs the other more. Does he need me and is that the reason he is wrapped around me or is he really being a good friend and being there for me?

I hope it's both.

"Hello, Jason and Kimberly. All the arrangements have been made for the funeral. Will you please follow us outside?"