Chapter 1: Chance Meeting

A/N:

This fanfiction will generally follow the main plot of Haikyuu!!, but with Koshi Sugawara as the main character, and the introduction of a non-canon main character.

No copyright infringement intended! All rights to their respective owners. I do not claim any part of the Haikyuu!! plot, characters, or anime as my own. This is a fan-made story and cannot be associated with the actual storyline. Again, all rights to their respective owners and no copyright infringement intended.

[y/n] = your name

[y/h/c] = your hair color

[y/e/c] = your eye color

[y/f/c] = your favorite color

Hope you enjoy!

Sugawara tossed a volleyball up in his hands as he walked, the thump of the ball soundly hitting his palms with each step.

"Feeling restless, Suga?" Daichi questioned, hands in pockets as he walked next to his best friend.

Suga shook his head. "No," he answered. "Just wondering about what our new first years will be like."

The two passed Tanaka-kun, whose mischevious half-smile was more than enough to make Sugawara suspicious, especially when the bald-haired boy seamlessly joined Daichi and Suga on their walk.

Daichi kept on striding forward, not intimidated by the strange aura emanating from Tanaka. At last, he spoke. "Planning on intimidating the 'newbies' again?"

Tanaka grinned. "It's what I'm best at, ain't it?"

They walked in silence to the gymnasium, where the door was already pushed open. Inside were two boys, radiating an air of aggression. One short, one tall. The taller, black-haired and rather tall for a first year, greeted the senpai trio with a short, but purposeful "Hi".

Tanaka straightened up to his full height, a full 178 centimeters, a scary scowl etched into his eyebrows. "Hey! Who gave you permission to..."

Daichi yanked him back before he could say any more, like a trainer pulling back a 200-pound Doberman on a leash.  "Are you Kageyama?"

"Osu." The boy met their eyes as an equal.

In the back, Suga could do nothing but observe his new teammates. The new boy, the first year, appeared rather tall than most boys his age and had sleek, flat, raven-like jet-black hair. His physique was well-built, slightly wiry, and his towering height would serve the Karasuno High School Volleyball Team well, as they had a limited number of extremely tall people, unlike most of the schools in their prefecture.

Suga was so absorbed in studying Kageyama-kohai, he completely forgot about the shorter first year, who kept on springing up and down like an overexcited jack-in-the-box.

"Hello, hello? Excuse me!" 

The third years turned from their conversation with Kageyama to focus on their orange-haired junior. "Huh?" Tanaka sniffed. "Who's this little squirt?"

"Hajimemashite!" the boy shouted, bowing swiftly and deeply. "My name is Shoyo Hinata! I'm a first year at Karasuno High School, and my dream is to become the ace! I can jump really high, and..."

"Hey, hey, hey!" Tanaka nosed his way into Hinata's face. "The little shrimpy thinks he can become the ace?"

"Well, he hasn't seem to have done anything for the past three years, so I highly doubt he'll even be able to become a manager here," Kageyama sardonically commented, dribbling the volleyball he held in his hands.

"What's that supposed to imply? I've been training with all sorts of people, constantly, every day. You've no idea what I've gone through since our last match. No idea." Hinata put his fists up, bouncing on the balls of his feet like he was preparing for a boxing match. Aggression radiated from him in dark blue waves. "Are you looking for a fight?"

Kageyama threw the volleyball up and down with one hand, the other hand resting on his hips. "No," he replied, with a shake of his head. "Just saying that I don't think you are remotely capable of beating me in a real match."

"Oh, yeah? You wanna go?"

"I don't see the point. You're so weak that-"

"The nerve! I'm challenging you to a one-on-one. Right here and now. We'll prove who's the real volleyball player here."

Behind them, the corners of Daichi's mouth twitched. "I don't think that's a great idea, guys. Look, the principal is coming in."

Tanaka added quietly to Kageyama and Hinata, "And he likes to make trouble, too, so watch your step."

The two first years ignored their senpai's comments and continued trying to stare down each other. "Fine," said Kageyama. "I accept your challenge. But I'll warn you first: You're not the only one who's changed since three years ago." With that, he dribbled the ball and stepped back, focusing his concentration.

"The first-years don't seem to listen to their senpai," noted the principal vaguely. "Will this be a problem in the future?"

Daichi stiffened noticeably, and all Suga could think was: Yes. Yes, it might, with a great sense of unease unfolding in the pit of his stomach.

Kageyama tossed the volleyball up in the air.

Amazing, Suga thought. First year, but already doing jump serves!

"What?!" Hinata exclaimed, shocked, and easily voicing the thoughts of his upperclassmen. "He's doing a jump serve? He didn't do that the last time!"

The dark-haired first year swung his arm back like a whip, powerful force behind the single motion, and hurled the ball at Hinata with incredible strength.

Kageyama's words echoed in Suga's ears. You're not the only one who has changed, the boy had saidto Hinata. Looked like he hadn't been lying.

Wow, Suga thought as Hinata dodged the shot by a mere inch, the ball shooting by his ears, packed with so much wind, it actually blew Hinata's curly hair upwards, giving the already surprised Hinata a look of profound bewilderment.

That new first year is really good.