Ninety-Nine Likes

"Mommy! Daddy! Wake up! Wake up!"

"Ellie, sweetie, mommy and daddy are very tired right now, try going back to bed, okay?"

"But it's my birthday! I'm five years old!"

Ellie stood up on your bed proudly, holding up four fingers.

"Yes, well, it is also two fourteen in the morning."

"But I'm not tired!"

"You will be in the morning."

"But it is morning! Mommy just said so! I wasn't my surp... Sar... Sip..."

"Surprise?"

"Yeah!"

"Okay, okay. Fine. Only one for right now, then will you go back to bed?"

"Promise!"

Ellie held out both her tiny pinkies. You latched onto one, Seán the other, and Ellie rapidly shook them to conceal the deal.
You two got up, you grabbed Ellie and placed her on your hip, and walked to the living room as Seán pulled one of her wrapped presents from the closet. You sat on the couch with her as Seán walked in.

"Ooh! What is it, Mommy? What is it?"

"You'll have to open it to find out."

Seán handed her the gift and pulled you onto his lap. You thought it was to act goofy, but it was to hide something else from when he was asleep.
You looked at him, then looked at Ellie trying to rip the wrapping paper.
He quietly whispered 'Shhh' into your ear opposite of your daughter, so her young ears cannot hear.

"A new DS?! Thank you Mommy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Don't forget to thank Daddy, too."

You felt Seán twitch beneath you at the word 'Daddy'. This man is ridiculous.

"Thank you, Daddy!"

Ellie kissed Seán's cheek and noticed his groan when I moved slightly. I must have hurt him.

"Are you okay, Daddy? Is Mommy crushing you? Why are you sitting on Daddy? I wanna sit on his lap!"

"Here, let's just get you back to bed, okay?"

You took Ellie to her room and tucked her in with Seán following behind so her poor innocent eyes don't have to witness anything funny.
You turned her nightlight back on, and walked out.

"She's a handful."

"Well so are you."

"Yeah, but you still love me."

"I do."

"Remember how we met?"

"Of course I do. How could I forget?"

"Wanna roleplay it? Get rid of the stiff one, for old time's sake?"