Chapter 6

When Arthur, Lewis and a peeved Mystery arrived home an hour later, they found Vivi pacing the kitchen, talking impatiently into her phone.

"Hello? Um yes, Lance? Is Arthur and Mystery with you? No...? Arthur said he was going to work with you! Calm down? How can I calm down? My dog and my best friend are missin–" Vivi's gaze lifted and she froze, phone slipping through her fingers and falling with a loud crack onto the floor. Her mouth opened and then closed, several unidentifiable emotions flitting across her face, and then finally she flung herself at Arthur, wrapping her arms around his neck and squeezing tightly.

"Arthur, you idiot! Just walking out like that. Lance said you weren't with him so ... I-I thought–" she lifted her face and Arthur winced when he saw her eyes red and puffy, wet with tears. "I thought you could be dead! I didn't want to lose another one of my friends! You are never going to do that again!"

Her gaze fell onto the pulsing locket on the floor and Vivi fell silent. "... Oh. What's ... this?"

Arthur shook his head. "Nice going, Lew."

Vivi bent to pick the heart up, turning it over in her hands. "Is it some kind of ghost possession? A tracker, maybe?" She stood and turned to Arthur, tracing the cracks with a finger. "Where did you find it?"

Arthur was slightly surprised at Vivi's sudden change of temper, but perhaps ghosts sometimes had that effect on people. "I-It's ... I found it..." he sighed and took the locket, tapping on it with a finger. "Lewis, you better come out and explain."

Slowly, a magenta glow enveloped the heart and a wisp of smoke drifted out of it, growing wider and expanding until it took on a human shape. Vivi squinted into the haze, frowning. "Did you find a ghost?"

"Not just any ghost." An echoing voice came from the shape, and a face formed half-hidden underneath poofy purple bangs smiled down at the girl in front of him. "Hello, Vivi."

Vivi took a step back, mouth and eyes open wide. A croaking sound came from her throat as she tried to form words. Her eyes filled up and tears dripped down her face as she took in the figure before her.