chapter thirteen

13 x I am the bird keeper

>>>

"So . . . you're teleporting us," Sam said slowly as I strapped my knee-high boots on, "instead of us taking the quinjet?" The look on his face was borderline apprehensive. In his defense, the only people who I had actually teleported with so far on the team were Steve and Wanda. Everyone else was pretty on-edge about the idea, too.

Did I blame them? Nah. My parents weren't big fans of the abilities I possessed, either. It wasn't like it was my first time handling people who weren't sure what to make of me, or what I could do.

Besides, Sam was a good guy, and Steve and Nat had asked us to do this together, so here we were.

In case you're wondering what 'this' is, there had been a recent uprising in the news, regarding rumors that Hydra had somehow contracted 'alien technology.' Needless to say, Tony had looked into it for the team, and confirmation had been made . . . it was enough of a big deal that he was even agreeing to meet us on the site (a Hydra warehouse). Meanwhile, Steve and Nat wanted us to pick up another member of the team, which I had no problem with.

Why Sam and I? Simply put, Steve and Nat had a team to lead, Rhodey was currently on another assignment looking into some guy Sam found, and I traveled the fastest. Sam was coming as proof that I was with the Avengers, which I was oddly fine with. I mean, I have no problem whisking people away without their say-so . . . but that probably isn't a good idea to do with an Avenger.

Not that I haven't done it before.

I'll probably do it again.

"Right," I finally agreed, standing up and adjusting the collar of my leather jacket. "Steve and Nat are taking everyone else in the quinjet, and we're just going to meet them on-site." I shrugged then, turning to face him, "Realistically, we'll probably beat everyone except Tony there."

Sam nodded slowly, a quiet sigh slipping out of his lips. "All right, okay . . . let's do this."

I grinned brightly at him. "Way to be a trooper, Sam." And without further ado (or much warning, for that matter) I'd teleported us both smack in the middle of a living room in a farm in the middle of nowhere.

Which prompted one Clint Barton to fall off of his couch in surprise.

It took a whole lot of effort not to laugh as the greatest marksman on the planet re-righted himself, staring at both Sam and I with shock before his eyes narrowed. He jabbed an accusatory finger at Sam, "I know you."

"Clint Barton, it's a pleasure to meet you," Sam smiled in response, offering a hand to help Clint up. "My name's Sam Wilson."

"Yeah, I know," Clint muttered, allowing Sam to pull him to his feet. "You're Falcon. You were with Steve and Nat during the Fall . . . and you're one'a their new Avengers. I keep up with what's goin' on," he shrugged, sliding his hands into his pockets before his critical gaze slipped my way. "You, however, I don't know. Also," he tipped his head slightly to one side, "how'd you people get into my house?"

"Teleportation," I said brightly, before waving one hand shortly. "Hi. I'm Jo Wilkes. I have no codename -- yet."

Clint was staring at me in considerable confusion, clearly trying to process through my presence, when Sam went ahead and made it worse, "She's also dating Cap."

I thought for sure Clint's eyes were gonna come out of his head. "You're what now?"

I nodded, suppressing laughter. "Yes, Steve and I are dating. Wasn't the most relevant thing to tell you right off the bat, though, but y'know . . . thanks, Sam."