Chapter 1

It was a cold day.

Not the kind when you could see colorful leaves fall, while the sun plays with it's rays through the garden, as you can read a good book and drink a hot coffee. No, it was the kind of day where the rain left only water on the ground, when it was too cold to breathe, when the sky was an obnoxious grey color. The smell of rain in November brought back so many memories, painful most of them, but that didn't stop me from wanting to take a walk in the city. I tried to go as fast as I could through the garden as Michelle, a personal assistant of the Malik Residence in NYC, tried to keep up with me to remind me everything I had to do for the day. I wish my legs were able to move faster, because the last thing I needed right now were other responsibilities. Today was the kind of day I wanted to stay out, and just relax.

"But miss, when you're going to be queen, which is just a year away from now, you won't be able to run from work," Michelle tried to remind me. She was a thin and small girl, and I almost felt bad for making her run after me.

"Michelle," I said as I stopped, her legs barely stopping while she looked at me with her big green eyes behind the eyeglasses "I can handle this, you go inside, take a hot bath, and leave me alone," I smiled ironically, as I turned around to leave the Residence, but something stopped me. And it wasn't Michelle pulling at my sleeve, no, it was the smell of burnt and ashes along with the dark smoke that came from the garden.

"Oh, Lord, who let those start a fire?" Michelle stated when she realized why I stopped. 

Fire. It happened six years ago, but I could still feel the fire burning everything around, the pain when I had to bury my parents and my beloved sister, the shock of being the first in line to rule Esperzia, and the fear of an unknown and unsafe future. Fortunately for me, Mr Malik, my father's best friend, decided to take care of me and teach me everything I had to know to rule a country, so since I was 14 I moved in NYC with my adoptive family, and soon enough family-in-law, to learn everything I had to. 

"Stop the fire immediately, or I'll fire you all," I heard a thick voice behind me, " What have I told you about setting things on fire when Miss Charlotte is around," he scolded the employees, as they were already extinguishing the fire. "I'm so sorry, my dear, it really won't ever happen again."

"It's alright," I smiled. Fire. If I learnt something from my mother it was that in this world there were no coincidences. 

"So where were you two ladies heading?" Mr Malik asked us, as Michelle looked terrified towards me. I knew how much of a scared kitten she could be so I rolled my eyes at her.

"I am going for a walk, while Michelle can take her day off," I told Mr Malik as his face dropped.

"A walk? But don't you have duties?" he asked me while raising an eyebrow.

"I can solve them later, right now I want a hot coffee and some fresh air," I said as I started to walk backwards.

"Don't you want Zayn to join you?" he asked, referring to his son.

"No, I'll be alright," I said as I was already out of the Residence, leaving a confused Malik and a terrified Michelle behind. 

My legs were carrying me to the unknown, thing that I know for sure the people at my Residence didn't like, for I was the one who shall rule a country and nothing bad should happen to me. I looked at the necklace my mom gave me, at the details of the small silver angel, and my thoughts carried me to the Angel Raguel with his cold eyes resting on me. I didn't know where to go, but I wanted a coffee with caramel, so I kept going through crowded streets, looking for a coffee shop, while playing with my necklace. I don't know if I pulled it too hard, or if I did something but I dropped it and it fell on the ground, but before I could react someone already got it and gave it back to me. I looked up to meet someone dressed in a vampire, a creepy smile on the mask he was wearing. 

"Thank you, sir.." I said while looking at his badge "Will?"

"I accept your gratitude, if you'll try our new coffee here at Sweet Fangs," he said from behind the costume, pointing to the coffee next to me.

Coincidences.

 "I'd rather go for the traditional caramel coffee, I heard it's the greatest coffee in the neighborhood," I smiled sweetly while thinking of the fact that my parents used to go to this small and almost unnoticeable coffee shop when they'd visit the Malik's.

"Oh, you know your facts miss, come then and enjoy a great coffee," he said, and I entered the small door to reveal a dark and hot place, with only candles to light up the place. I went straight to the counter and I waited patiently for someone to appear. 

"Yes, that's what Edward said," a girl said from behind the counter, "he is soooo overreacting I mean who could ever possibly think of something like that?". I looked down at her, she was a tall girl with fair hair.

"Um, excuse me?" I tried.

"What?" she replied angrily.

"I'd like a drink?"

She rolled her eyes before calling for someone to get me a drink. A tall guy appeared his hair covered behind a cap. 

"A coffee with caramel?" I suggested while trying to get a hold of his face.

He nodded, grabbed the coffee and offered it without a word before leaving behind the back door. But unfortunately for him, I saw his eyes and I knew exactly who he was. I'd recognize those green eyes anytime.